Well, my Baja finally came in...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1500valk

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
...and I was having second thoughts last night of paying $915 for a "toy". That lasted about 3 seconds when I opened the box at the LHS. This thing is huge, and totally awesome in nearly every way. I need to get some fuel, and get the RX battery charged and get this thing on the road.

awesome! I'm jelous as hell.. Have fun with it man!

I have been running it today in my backyard, and I cannot ever remember having this much fun with an r/c car. No heat issues, not worried about breaking it (in my fairly flat yard), no flameouts, nada worries. I have had several people come over to watch. One was a r/c racer, Losi electric buggies and stuff. I let him take it for a few runs around my yard. He said he needs to sell some stuff and get one......
My brother was saying there is no way he would buy one, when I was waiting for it to come in. Now he is saying he wants to sell some stuff and would love to get one (after running it for 5 minutes). This is free PR for HPI for sure!

Yeah its alot of fun .. When ever I take mine out every stops playing with theirs and wants to drive mine.... So when are ya putting in the big bore kit ??

I will add a big bore kit when the engine is ready for a tear down. I am sure that will be a ways off. My first mod will probably be an x-can exhaust. Also, I saw some new beadlock rings for the stock wheels. These were made out of aluminum and looked like they could stiffen up the stock setup a bit. Mostly will leave my Baja stock, I think. I do plan on getting a new body for it, since I am not a huge fan of orange and yella.
I would like to find out more about the x-can. To me, it looks like the best option for exhaust. Doesn't stick out like some I have seen, doesn't make the car tail-heavy. I head HPI is making their own, so I might wait for that. I mean, they left all of the space behind the engine for a reason....
One thing I learned really quick: take that "stinger" off of the muffler. I took it off and the thing just came alive!

If you run it in alot of grass, you will need to keep the engine cleaned out bro. The fan sucks up every bit of grass it goes over I think...lol.....

If you put your hand above the brake area, next to the engine, you should feel some air blowing, at idle, out from around there. You should feel a good bit coming out. If it's not, shut it down and take the pull-start housing off and clean it out and blow out around the cooling fins of the engine with an air hose.

I went into my LHS a few weeks back and they had one in there that had gotten to hot and toasted the engine. It was packed full of grass, leaves, etc. I check mine about every tank, depending on where I'm running it of course.

If you already knew this, well, consider it a reminder..lol......enjoy it man, they are a blast!!

-Nitro

There are some nice pull-start housing filters available. Also, this bloke from Australia, name of Tad, came up with this little thing:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/554027289/2203410010068508197FRIHcF

he says no crap gets past them, none.

I am going to do it to mine, couldn't really hurt.

This guy is on the hpibajaforum, pretty neat site.....

I run in grass a lot, so it makes sense. Also, the air filter for the pull-start housing makes sense, as well.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about doing something like that just wasn't to sure of the durability of it. I may as well try it and see what I can come up with.....lol

thanks for the link bro.....

-Nitro

no prob. I was trying to locate some mesh for my air intakes. My wife's old strainer has decided to sacrifice itself for the cause.

LOL.....cool man, I was thinking along the same lines but using aluminum sheeting and drilling holes, cutting and shaping. I think the strainer would be alot easier.

Be sure to post a few pics after you finish it, that way I'll know If I want to try to "sacrifice" the strainer or not.....lol

-Nitro

So far only two problems with my baja. First was the fuel hose was kinked under the air cleaner, so bad the engine wouldn't prime. Also, had to take off a wheel to tuck the tire bead under the bead lock ring. Well, I had to resort to a standard craftsman wrench to remove the wheels. The little orange wrench wouldn't budge it. I estimate the nuts holding the wheels are in excess of 100 ft lbs of torque. I could not remove the rears, way too tight, and too far inset in the wheel. I will have get a socket of the apropriate size. i plan on using a torque wrench to see what the "removal" torque is. I have emailed HPI customer service, will see what they say. I did end up chewing up the orange wheel wrench a bit, but I think it will still work. Minor problems, but there shouldn't be assembly problems with a $1000 r/c car.

LOL......well yours is backwards of mine.......my wheel nuts all but fell off.....without me touching them....lol........

With yours being that tight, you going to have a time getting the wheel off after you get the nut loose. I over-tightened mine a little and it pinched the wheel so it stuck to the axle threads. Like to have never got that thing off.......good luck with it bro!

My fuel line was kinked a little bit but not that bad. I moved it around a little but nothing major.......

-Nitro

Well my Baja fuel line was ok but those wheel nuts felt like they were put on with an impact gun..

Well as I found out tonight watch the really weak steering servo... I didnt even hit anything and I stripped all the gears inside.. I ordered the steel conversion for it so Ill let ya know how it goes..
P.S Oh and yes that filter is a must.. It sucks everything in there.. I even found a twoonie.

ok, twoonie as in 2 dollar Canadian piece?
Mine was surprisingly clean, even running it in grass, but I still blew everything out with an air gun before putting the filter on there.

Oh yeah I guess some of you might not know what a twoonie is haha. But your right. Its a 2 dollar coin.

Back