Weekend Basher & Spektrum .. do they mix?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandho

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I want to upgrade the radio for all 3 of my Revo's and would kinda like one radio for all ..........

My LHS has a Futaba 2PL ($75) in stock and usually has the 3PM ($??) but is out of them right now, and she also has that new Spektrum DX3 in stock ($250)

My question is .... Being a weekend basher and not a racer should I spend the extra $$ for the Spektrum?? Or will I be happy enough with one of the Futaba models??

I think I can get the DX3 for 2 bills............

I will most likely have to buy 2 more receivers for the other Revo's right??

What to do ..... :shrug:

If your in it for the long haul, get as much radio as you can afford.
Buy good, buy once......

Well, w/ the 2PL that means no reverse for your revo. I have the 2PL that I'm usin on my hyper 7 and savage ss, and I love it, it's enough for me, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd go synth or DSM. But the main reason I bought the 2PL is because I needed a radio at the time and didn't have much cash. But in no way do I regret my purchase, I love my 2PL, it's got super-precise trims, 10 model memory, EPA's and all that good stuff.

I have the DX3. It's a "decent" radio. For the racer, it falls short since there are no adjustments for exponential settings on the servos. I just had to relearn throttle control on my engine and steering input.

As a weekendbasher, sure ... why not! You will no longer have to worry about frequency conflicts. That alone is worth it's weight in gold. IF you were to use DSM for racing, then I would say get the radio you want that can accept the spektrum module. I have been using the DX3 for racing for the passed month and I ahve been having no problems with it. I would like to change the radio and get a spektrum module but for the moment, I can deal with not using exponential settings for my servos.

Go ahead and get the DX3 if you can get it for about 2 bills. Retail average price is about $249. I picked mine up for $220. $200 would be a great steal.

I would have to say the main reason I'm even thinking of the Spektrum is the Telemetry idea. It would be pretty nice to monitor the trucks vitals in real time.
I don't mind $200 or even $250 but for bashing I can't see a point in paying $300 or more.

Thanks for all the input guys :cheers:

Sandho said:
I would have to say the main reason I'm even thinking of the Spektrum is the Telemetry idea. It would be pretty nice to monitor the trucks vitals in real time.

Are you talking about the NOMADIO Sensor radio ? I dont think the DX3 has Real Time Telemetry..

Yeah the DSM system might one day carry that data as well but for now it's the NOMADIO if you want the temps/RPMs/volt meter stuff on the radio.....that's about 500 bucks......I'm w/ diver and his idea...get ta radio you like w/ all the features you need...if it can take a DSM module get one.....something to be said about going to a track and just knowing you aren't on someone elses freq.....damn that is gonna be sweet.....one thing I noticed w/ the DSM module is the response time on teh servos is crazy......I'm setting mine up last nite for the first time and it is so much more responsive than stock radio sets.......I can see the wheels react to the backlash when I let go of the wheel and it shakes back and forth.......creepy fast

I got a Nomadio and there were still a lot of problems. I think spektrum is coming out with a telemtry model soon. I would do the 3pm. Its a great radio, and buying 3 recivers wont cost such a pretty penny.

Plaidfish said:
one thing I noticed w/ the DSM module is the response time on teh servos is crazy......I'm setting mine up last nite for the first time and it is so much more responsive than stock radio sets.......I can see the wheels react to the backlash when I let go of the wheel and it shakes back and forth.......creepy fast
Don't sneeze when you're driving. I did it last week and threw her into the board. Remy and his uncle saw the damage on my car from it ... it wasn't pretty, especially when my heat was just around the corner. I ripped out the right rear upright (hub carrier).

Well I picked up the Spektrum DX3 yesterday, haven't had the chance to play with it yet but it seems I'll enjoy it.

Is it possible to use standard NiMH AA's in it and a universal charger or do I HAVE to use the JR charger and battery?? :shrug:

BTW .... I got it for $205 otd :smoke: