We need some stickie info

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I've seen a lot of questions lately regarding starting up a nitro that's been sitting for a while. Some of them for years.
Pitch in and give me any tips and info you have, such as checking for throttle movement, servo and radio checks etc.
When I have all the info needed to dig out an old abandoned car and get it running again I'll compile all the pertinent steps and put up a stickie. That way we can link to it rather than explaining the same info 50 times a month.
There's always a special order certain things need to be in so the owner doesn't hurt himself by trying to start the engine without knowing the once over beginner checks.
I'd like to be able to let people print the info and have it in their field box to help others having the same issues.

The first thing I did was check all my batteries and ccycled them several times. I blew all the cobwebs off of them and I put a few drops of after run through the engines and spun them by hand. I verified all my failsafes in case something happened I wouldn't have a run away and made sure all my servos where working properly. I verified all my diffs still had oil in them I fired up shortly after that. I also bought fresh fuel before trying to start it.

Last edited:
1). I suppose I'd start with a complete engine tear-down. To clean the rust out, then I'd seal & reassemble the engine, complete with new glow plug.

All good so far but I'd hold off on tear down and resealing unless there's still a problem with it running.
Some of these guys bought used trucks at garage sales and we don't want to scare them off by requiring maintenance that's still beyond their knowledge.

First thing I would do is remove the glow plug and air filter and flood the engine with wd-40, spin the engine until it spits out the majority of the wd-40. I do this at least twice. Make sure the clutch shoes and springs are good, install new glow plug, return carb to factory settings add fresh fuel and try to start it. Unless the crank, piston, or block is broken it should start. You can worry about air leaks on e you know it runs.

Back when you could still get a good deal on eBay I bought a lot of non running nitros and this worked 90% of the time.

Last edited:
@Rolex first you would have to start by removing years and years of wax build up, LOL!!!! When I first started reading I thought maybe you were going to start one of your nitros up. Insted of making vroomm vroomm noises, LOL!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Vroom-vroom is the sound I make when I gargle with after run oil. :spit:

Well at least your after run oil is getting some kind of use, we all know none of your nitros will never need any, LOL!!!:hehe:

Here's what I had to do after mine sat in the closet for 2 years.
I first checked the engine, I found the ARO had congealed & I could not turn the engine over by hand.
I pulled the filter & plug & hosed the engine with WD40, it did loosen up the engine to the point I could turn it over.
I did tear it down & clean it out, but I could have just fueled after dumping the WD out & run it as it was.

For an unknown, used RC just bought, after verifying the engine is free & turns over;
Put new fuel lines on it & a new glow plug is a must.
Check & replace the batteries as needed, check the TX/RX & all servo's for correct functioning.
Verify the carb opens & closes as it should, & for slide carb's check the slide's rubber boot for cracks &/or tears & replace if needed.
Check/replace the air filter, exhaust gaskets.
Clean out the fuel tank if there is old fuel residue in it & verify the tank's lid gasket is there & in good shape.
Get new fuel, there's no telling how old or how the old fuel was stored.
Check the tires & wheel nuts, check the suspension for any binding.
Look for loose/missing screws and tighten/replace as needed.

There's my .02cts. :)

Last edited:
All good so far but I'd hold off on tear down and resealing unless there's still a problem with it running.
Some of these guys bought used trucks at garage sales and we don't want to scare them off by requiring maintenance that's still beyond their knowledge.

^^Give them the knowledge^^

Buying used you never know in what condition it was stored.
If the engine hasn’t been run in some time (especially a year(s) I would add a paragraph explaining that if the engine was stored improperly rust may have formed on the internals and possible engine damage from the rust could be avoided by a tear down and cleaning.
Too many engines succumb to a shorter life span because of improper storage (as in most garage sale rc's).
It doesn’t take long for rust to form on the crank and bearings if the after run procedure wasn’t done or wasn’t done sufficiently for long term storage.

I personally will not even attempt to start an engine that is gummed up without a full disassemble and cleaning.

A short guide to the basic disassembly and assembly of a nitro engine would also be helpful. If they are newbs and stick with the hobby they will have too learn to disassemble an engine sooner or later:whhooo:.

Back