Water damaged engine, can't start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I had an accident which ended up with the buggy basically fully submerged in water for 5-10 seconds.
Iv taken apart the radio parts and had to order a new one so that's sorted.
The engine I took most of it Apart and gave it a clean. I have rebuilt it now and because I don't have any of the electronic throttle/radio parts working I'm having to start it adjusting the trim manually.
First thing I notice when trying to start it is no fuel was coming through the fuel line, I tried putting finger over the exhaust and then fuel came into the engine. After more attempts the pull starter got stuck so I emptied the tank and a brown fluid came out? The only way I seem to be able to get fuel into the tank is putting finger over the exhaust and even then I can't start it. Any ideas on how I can fix this?
Edit: Found the error, seems to be a leak under the Cooling top where the glowplug fits in.
When the engine is running it cuts out while idling but if driven around it will cut out whenever the throttle or brake is released and it is evident that the leak is bad as fuel has sprayed over the top of the exhaust and on some of the parts.
How can i stop this leak? Iv made sure its screwed on super tight and theres nothing like sand or dirt blocking it.

Last edited:
Putting your finger over the stinger of the pipe is a standard way to prime the carb before starting. I would do that until I saw fuel going into the carb and release my finger on the stinger and see if it starts. Before you go too much further go ahead and check your glow plug using a fully charged igniter.

Putting your finger over the stinger of the pipe is a standard way to prime the carb before starting. I would do that until I saw fuel going into the carb and release my finger on the stinger and see if it starts. Before you go too much further go ahead and check your glow plug using a fully charged igniter.
Tested this and glow plug is definitely working. What else could be wrong?

have you tried draining it again to make sure theres still not more contaminates in the system? That brown stuff may have been stuck in the exhaust or somewhere that you didnt take apart and clean and it could have gotten pulled into the fuel system.

Hmm thanks for the feedback, I will clean the engine again but more thoroughly this time.

Update:
Found the error, seems to be a leak under the Cooling top where the glowplug fits in.
When the engine is running it cuts out while idling but if driven around it will cut out whenever the throttle or brake is released and it is evident that the leak is bad as fuel has sprayed over the top of the exhaust and on some of the parts.
How can i stop this leak? Iv made sure its screwed on super tight and theres nothing like sand or dirt blocking it.

the block (or possibly the cooling head) may have gotten damaged from being hot and then subjected suddenly to water. might have warped the metal or something. Hard to say without being able to see which piece it is that actually has the damage but it sounds like you may need a new block or cooling head.

If I remember correctly isn't there a copper or brass shim that goes between the cooling head and the block.

If I remember correctly isn't there a copper or brass shim that goes between the cooling head and the block.
I was about to suggest that. A thin copper shim that also serves as a gasket.

$_1.jpg

If it's blowing out around the glow plug, then you're missing the gasket there.
sku_234890_1.jpg

I saw that.
What I didn't see was that the shim was not installed, pretty much guaranteeing that it will leak.
I've seen a lot of people say their head was leaking, only to discover that the exhaust was the culprit.