Water cooling on electric motors

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC MAN

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I was thinking about water cooling my 1/10 electric sct’s motor and i was wondering if it is worth doing (e.g. is it worth adding the weight etc...) and what size of coolant reservoir i would need.😀

Just a crazy idea i had that might work very well considering how good water and coolant is at heat absorption plus it is a lot cheaper than buying two powerhobby twister fans that probably won’t do as good of job at cooling😂. Would be great to get a second opinion 👍

cheers,

Hi everyone

I was thinking about water cooling my 1/10 electric sct’s motor and i was wondering if it is worth doing (e.g. is it worth adding the weight etc...) and what size of coolant reservoir i would need.😀

Just a crazy idea i had that might work very well considering how good water and coolant is at heat absorption plus it is a lot cheaper than buying two powerhobby twister fans that probably won’t do as good of job at cooling😂. Would be great to get a second opinion 👍

cheers,
Not practical. In order to even do it youd have to have a smooth can motor which some 540s are but most of the bigger motors are not. Youd have to figure out how and where to mount a coolant tank, radiator, water pump and you're still going to need at least one, if not two fans, for the radiator. Even if you could figure out a way to do all of that the weight it would add would be bad for performance, not to mention its just more things to break in a wreck. I mean if you just want to do it for a shelf queen then ok cool but on anything you actually intend to run semi regularly its a no go imo.

I like the way you think @RC MAN , but I see some issues there for sure. Added weight will kill the speed. Room for everything is a big red flag.
To be honest, there is a reason we don't see any on the market. It just isn't practical and I don't see it cooling any better than just a couple of fans.

It’s not worth the extra weight and breakages. RC boats have water cooling, if you get a boat motor, you could do it.

Not practical. In order to even do it youd have to have a smooth can motor which some 540s are but most of the bigger motors are not.
Not trying to start another debate, but, this part is actually wrong. You can get larger motors, like the 3674 1900KV that come with water cooling jackets. Its what i use in several of my boats, and is what comes stock in several of the ProBoat models. This is the motor I'm talking about: https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/3674-1900kv-4-pole-brushless-marine-motor/DYNM3915.html Its what they use stock even in the 6S stuff, and, size wise, it is larger than a typical 3660. This water jacket will fit almost any 3650 or 3660: https://www.walmart.com/ip/RC-Model...Series-RC-Boat-Motor-Part-Accessory/420835555

Hi everyone

cheers,
I actually tried this once on one of my 1/10TH SCT's, and it worked, but, by the time i added in a 370 water pump, radiator and fans, it weighed twice as much as my DHK Hunter SCT, and honestly, since the radiator was so small, didnt lower temps nearly as much as a twin fan on the motor would.

@Greywolf74 @Tunedpipe @Doom!

Thanks for the opinions guys!

But i was thinking about using a Motor water jacket that are on RC boats (https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=leo-3665-jacket) so i don't have to have a fan and radiator, and for the additional weight maybe i could ad some 1/8 scale suspension or like 130mm shocks. 😀 Would that be a better idea?

I do have plenty of room on my vehicle so i don't think space is much of a problem but what size of reservoir would i need, 40ml 200ml?

Cheers,
Not trying to start another debate, but, this part is actually wrong. You can get larger motors, like the 3674 1900KV that come with water cooling jackets. Its what i use in several of my boats, and is what comes stock in several of the ProBoat models. This is the motor I'm talking about: https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/3674-1900kv-4-pole-brushless-marine-motor/DYNM3915.html Its what they use stock even in the 6S stuff, and, size wise, it is larger than a typical 3660. This water jacket will fit almost any 3650 or 3660: https://www.walmart.com/ip/RC-Model...Series-RC-Boat-Motor-Part-Accessory/420835555

I actually tried this once on one of my 1/10TH SCT's, and it worked, but, by the time i added in a 370 water pump, radiator and fans, it weighed twice as much as my DHK Hunter SCT, and honestly, since the radiator was so small, didnt lower temps nearly as much as a twin fan on the motor would.
Cool!

What size reservoir did you use and did you considered to use a motor jacket or can't that be done?

Last edited:
Check out the nitro scx10. In one video he goes in depth on the items used. Just change nitro marine items ot electric marine. The best cooling I found for electric motors is rain puddles.

If your too hot, check the gearing, get some holes in the body, and add heat sinks and fans.

If this is a tinker project, it is possible. https://www.youtube.com/user/Burnet1989/videos

What size reservoir did you use and did you considered to use a motor jacket or can't that be done?
You can use a motor jacket, like the one i listed above, but, you would need either 2 motors, one for the vehicle, and one for the pump, or, use the pump motor as double duty, which for a 1/10TH SCT, would be extremely slow. Pump motors are typically a 370 size. As for a reservoir, i didnt use one. I made mine a closed system using this style radiator: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33056280841.html If you scroll down on that page, it shows a diagram using the radiator, a pump motor, similar to this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2744662864...FgPq4DB-2V_y0ZKg1Pf-Kp-ca7IQXTBBoCj7kQAvD_BwE a small reservoir, and all you would have to add is the truck motor with the water jacket. That radiator is actually for hydraulic oil for an RC excavator, but the principle is the same.

You can use a motor jacket, like the one i listed above, but, you would need either 2 motors, one for the vehicle, and one for the pump, or, use the pump motor as double duty, which for a 1/10TH SCT, would be extremely slow. Pump motors are typically a 370 size. As for a reservoir, i didnt use one. I made mine a closed system using this style radiator: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33056280841.html If you scroll down on that page, it shows a diagram using the radiator, a pump motor, similar to this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274466286488?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr=1&amdata=enc:1JmJ4cqqRTtO7fDWL1dGXew87&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=274466286488&targetid=1262375642056&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9005776&poi=&campaignid=15275224983&mkgroupid=131097072938&rlsatarget=pla-1262375642056&abcId=9300697&merchantid=137762360&gclid=CjwKCAiAiKuOBhBQEiwAId_sK_n8VTfAqjLni2mJ5wjZjiFgPq4DB-2V_y0ZKg1Pf-Kp-ca7IQXTBBoCj7kQAvD_BwE a small reservoir, and all you would have to add is the truck motor with the water jacket. That radiator is actually for hydraulic oil for an RC excavator, but the principle is the same.
Thanks sooooo much for the advisel😃👍

Extremely helpful and will definitely try

You can use a motor jacket, like the one i listed above, but, you would need either 2 motors, one for the vehicle, and one for the pump, or, use the pump motor as double duty, which for a 1/10TH SCT, would be extremely slow. Pump motors are typically a 370 size. As for a reservoir, i didnt use one. I made mine a closed system using this style radiator: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33056280841.html If you scroll down on that page, it shows a diagram using the radiator, a pump motor, similar to this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274466286488?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr=1&amdata=enc:1JmJ4cqqRTtO7fDWL1dGXew87&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=274466286488&targetid=1262375642056&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9005776&poi=&campaignid=15275224983&mkgroupid=131097072938&rlsatarget=pla-1262375642056&abcId=9300697&merchantid=137762360&gclid=CjwKCAiAiKuOBhBQEiwAId_sK_n8VTfAqjLni2mJ5wjZjiFgPq4DB-2V_y0ZKg1Pf-Kp-ca7IQXTBBoCj7kQAvD_BwE a small reservoir, and all you would have to add is the truck motor with the water jacket. That radiator is actually for hydraulic oil for an RC excavator, but the principle is the same.
I just have one question......

So i don’t have to have a reservoir and instead just replace it with a radiator with a fan attached to it?😀

Not trying to start another debate, but, this part is actually wrong. You can get larger motors, like the 3674 1900KV that come with water cooling jackets. Its what i use in several of my boats, and is what comes stock in several of the ProBoat models. This is the motor I'm talking about: https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/3674-1900kv-4-pole-brushless-marine-motor/DYNM3915.html
I was referring to 1/8th scale and larger motors. When I said 540 I was actually just referring to 36xx 1/10 scale motors collectively.

@Greywolf74 @Tunedpipe @Doom!

Thanks for the opinions guys!

But i was thinking about using a Motor water jacket that are on RC boats (https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=leo-3665-jacket) so i don't have to have a fan and radiator, and for the additional weight maybe i could ad some 1/8 scale suspension or like 130mm shocks. 😀 Would that be a better idea?

I do have plenty of room on my vehicle so i don't think space is much of a problem but what size of reservoir would i need, 40ml 200ml?

Cheers,

Cool!

So i don’t have to have a reservoir and instead just replace it with a radiator with a fan attached to it?😀
Yeah, motors with water jackets already built in to them would work also. You could skip the reservoir and just built it like an AIO CPU water cooling loop. Just means youll need a little bigger radiator. Make sure you bleed the air out of the system real good and anytime you have to remove a hose or do anything that could introduce air in to the system youll need to re-bleed it.

You may be able to compensate for the extra weight by using stiffer springs and thicker shock oil. Not sure if youd necessarily need to step up to 1/8 scale shocks. At least thats what i would try first.

Last edited:

The radiator would be the reservoir, or, you could also use an ESC water cooler, like this one: https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=etti-a044 and a reservoir, but, the radiator and fan would keep it cooler than an ESC plate. Either way, like @Greywolf74 said, you would need to make sure the system is full and well bled. HobbyKing used to carry a integrated pump and radiator, but i dont know if they still do. I only do water cooling on boats anymore, and i get all my stuff from Offshore Electrics.

I was referring to 1/8th scale and larger motors. When I said 540 I was actually just referring to 36xx 1/10 scale motors collectively.

Yeah, motors with water jackets already built in to them would work also. You could skip the reservoir and just built it like an AIO CPU water cooling loop. Just means youll need a little bigger radiator. Make sure you bleed the air out of the system real good and anytime you have to remove a hose or do anything that could introduce air in to the system youll need to re-bleed it.

You may be able to compensate for the extra weight by using stiffer springs and thicker shock oil. Not sure if youd necessarily need to step up to 1/8 scale shocks. At least thats what i would try first.
Thanks for the clarification😀

Great to know i can just slide a water jacket on my expensive motor i already have instead of having to buy a marine motor with one built into it 😰

Will definitely try the suspension thing because i have already added some weight to my build and it has got like no suspension travel so by the time i add this and a few other things i will need a lot stiffer suspension. What suspension would you recommend e.g 1/8 scale, 130mm etc.....
The radiator would be the reservoir, or, you could also use an ESC water cooler, like this one: https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=etti-a044 and a reservoir, but, the radiator and fan would keep it cooler than an ESC plate. Either way, like @Greywolf74 said, you would need to make sure the system is full and well bled. HobbyKing used to carry a integrated pump and radiator, but i dont know if they still do. I only do water cooling on boats anymore, and i get all my stuff from Offshore Electrics.
Thought so, THANKS 😀

I have wanted to purchase a few things from offshore electronics.... are they any good to buy from or are they a pain like hobbyking?

Last edited:
I purchase connectors from OSE periodically. Never had any issue from them. Only buy connectors from them though since I'm not into much besiodes ground kits.

Thanks for the clarification😀

Great to know i can just slide a water jacket on my expensive motor i already have instead of having to buy a marine motor with one built into it 😰

Will definitely try the suspension thing because i have already added some weight to my build and it has got like no suspension travel so by the time i add this and a few other things i will need a lot stiffer suspension. What suspension would you recommend e.g 1/8 scale, 130mm etc.....

Thought so, THANKS 😀

I have wanted to purchase a few things from offshore electronics.... are they any good to buy from or are they a pain like hobbyking?
Personally, i have never had an issue buying from OSE. A couple years ago guys i run boats with had problems with slow shipping, but that is about the only complaint i have heard about them. When it comes to boat stuff, i buy almost everything from them, and i have 6 boats currently. I'm slowly putting money away when i can for a TFL Zonda Carbon Fiber V2.

Personally, i have never had an issue buying from OSE. A couple years ago guys i run boats with had problems with slow shipping, but that is about the only complaint i have heard about them. When it comes to boat stuff, i buy almost everything from them, and i have 6 boats currently. I'm slowly putting money away when i can for a TFL Zonda Carbon Fiber V2.
Thanks, great to know😀

Awesome boat choice👍😀
I purchase connectors from OSE periodically. Never had any issue from them. Only buy connectors from them though since I'm not into much besiodes ground kits.
Awesome to know!

Thanks😀

Hi everyone

cheers,
Those 40mm fans definitely work. They have to sit away atleast 5mm.

Water jacket for a marine 540 or 550. Water pump, radiator, and fan. Can bleed it like a computer closed loop system. Have to run distilled water as it does not conduct electricity in case of a leak and maybe some computer water wetter for pump lube and corrosion inhibitor. They also make passive radiators that are small. I’d source a rc excavator rad like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2845535031...n7_OtTNczn3sEFHYTJLhpTEdx8BubzzkaAvPiEALw_wcB

Check out primal rc’s website. They have a electric conversion kit for the Raminator you can look at. Way to big for a 1/10 scale but you can see how they made a working system.

Or grab a 550 marine can with a jacket already. They have multiple sizes.

And everyone thinks everything’s a dumb idea til it works. Never listen to anybody about trying something out because you’re interested in it. That’s how progress and innovation are achieved.

Last edited:
By the time you add all that weight, the motor is going to be under a ridiculous load and will likely run even hotter. It would be far cheaper and way more practical to just buy a motor and gearing more suited to the application. The whole idea of this is well, just silly.

Back