Vintage Tamiya Re-Issues

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NCNitro said:
4u, where were you reading this?
I gotta find it..lol. I was just reading it last night before bed (trying to catch up on my Rc mags. I'm reading like 4 of them..lol) But Ill find it and post it up.

This sounds too damn good to be true! :wasted:

I am going to phone my hobby shop and order it,must have Bruiser.Must have,must have. :whip:

okihost said:
I always dreamed of getting a lunch box when I was yonger but my parents would never get me one because of how complicated it was so I ended up with a toys r us RC every xmas.

Does anyone know how to find the matching color for it? I know the rims come painted but what about the body? Should it say in the instructions?

Would probably be in the instructions and be something like "Tamiya Sunshine Yellow" or something.

I couldnt find the article.. go figure.. It had to have been Rc car action though. One of the past issues because I got the new one yesterday and havnt started in it yet. I'm like 4 issues back the way it is.. Ill keep looking though..

My grasshopper kit came in today. Wooo Hooo!!
Ill pick it up tomorrow.
I never asked how much it was when I ordered it. My LHS gave it to me for $85.00. I'm not sure if thats the going price but its sure reasonable. I thought it would be 150.00 or more.

My Frog arrived last week. Man did it bring back memories to hold that box in my hand. Kudos to Tamiya for using the exact same graphics on the box. I can't wait to get the time to put it together. One thing I will be doing is putting in bearings where they have all those lame plastic bushings. I just can't bring myself to put the bushings in.

What size bearings does it take?
I think Ill have Jake order a frog in for me. It was one of the best for its time and I couldn't afford one when I was younger. Its nice to have the opportunity to get a new one to bring me back. If I was only 150 lbs lighter I would get me a "Green Machine" and my life would be complete.

This info is from Towers site.

Frog:
To Replace bushings with Ball Bearings use:
(4) 5x11mm Gearbox
(4) 5x11mm Rear axle carriers
(4) 5x11mm Front wheels

Grasshopper:
For Replacement Ball Bearings use:
(9) 5x11mm Wheels and gearbox
(1) 5x 8mm Counter Gear

Ed, is it the smell of '70's plastic, or just the overall visual you are getting?!?:wasted:

Its the bag hopping. I'm on step one and have had to open every bag and hunt for parts.

LMAO. And we were complaining about the TC4's!!!!!

FastEddy said:
If I was only 150 lbs lighter I would get me a "Green Machine" and my life would be complete.

If I'm not mistaken they DO make ones for big kids nowadays.....

They do make one but I'm still to damn fat!

I'm 90% done building it. Its more of a parts hunt then anything else. I used one screwdriver and the supplied 4 way to build it. O-yah and an X-Acto knife.

I need to put the stickers on and paint the drivers head and I'm done. The body and chassis weighed more then my TC4 without a battery. Its amazing these things even move.

Woo Hoo.

They are re-releasing my first RC the Hotshot.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58391

I picked-up the original in kit form a while back on fleabay. Plan on building it soon which will bring me back to my teens.

I am going to get the re-issue as well. Looks like they are making some design changes according to the description.

Rob, that is sweet looking. How did that thing handle? It had to be one of the first 4wd buggies?

Tom

Indeed is was. All my buddies had 2WD RC10's, Frog's, Hornet's and one guy had a Cox Scorpion I believe. When Tamiya came out with the Hotshot and it was 4WD, I was all over it. None of my buddies could keep up with me in the corners.

The rear mono shock design kinda sucked in functionality. I ended up using an after market set-up to use 2 rear shocks. I remember tons of after market support for it.

I do remember it dominating the racing scene until Kyosho released the chain driven 4WD Optima.

I was old enough back then, but I could never get my folks to get me an RC like that... it was always the one out of the Sears catalog. Now don't get me wrong... I had a blast and was lucky to have that, but I always wanted a Midnight Pumpkin.... LOL

It is so cool to see how RC's have evolved over the years, and to see what has changed and what hasn't changed as far as technology.

Tom

Back