Vintage RC Projects

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmob

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I am going to use thread to showcase my vintage RC collection. Most are still in kit form. Eventually they will all get built and displayed. None of these rigs will ever see the road or dirt.

Here is a list of the kits I have yet to build:
Kyosho
Optima
Ultima
Gallop MKII
Maxxum

Tamiya
Madcap
Astute
Super Astute
Dyna Storm
Hotshot

Losi
Junior-T

First up is a Tamiya Avante.

This was originally built by Dad back when it was released in the late 80's. He built it and set it on a shelf. I did a complete tear down, cleaned off all the dust and polished the aluminum. I also painted the body. If you want to sweat, try trimming and painting a body that goes for well over $100 on ebay if you can actually find one. Same with trimming the decals. They bring a cool $75 or so. It has a Tamiya Technigold motor installed.

This thing is Tamiya engineering at it's finest.

Avante_1.jpg

Avante_2.jpg

Avante_3.jpg

Avante_4.jpg

Avante_5.jpg

Avante_6.jpg

Avante_7.jpg

I still need to paint the driver figure and install it.

Next is a Tamiya Vanquish.

Often referred to as the poor man's Avante. I picked this one up as a new build on ebay. It was a dry build so I had to remove the shocks and fill them will oil so that they would work. Without oil, they were frozen and would not function. As with the Avante, I trimmed and painted the body and cut/applied the decals.

Vanquish_1.jpg

Vanquish_2.jpg

Vanquish_3.jpg

Vanquish_4.jpg

Vanquish_5.jpg

Still need to paint and mount the driver on this one as well.

Last edited:
I don't know the first thing about vintage RC, but I like what I see. Keep the pics coming!

Those are some awesome looking rigs, Rob!

Not sure if this falls into the "vintage" realm, but here's my Kyosho USA-1 Nitro. Still has the original mill and still runs like a champ! Only take it out every now and then, but it runs great!

USA-1As-Is10-27-061.jpg

USA-1As-Is10-27-063.jpg

USA-1As-Is10-27-064.jpg

USA-1As-Is10-27-065.jpg

Hell ya that's vintage. The first RC monster truck.

Rob, those are all originals arent they?
You need to open a museum. GREAT collection of MINT stuff.

They are all originals.

My RC batcave (aka museum) will be getting built the 3rd week of July.

Right now they are in boxes. When my workshop is completed, I plan on getting a display case to house the rigs as they get completed.

Monkey Wrench,

That USA-1 is sweet looking! I remember back in the day when that was the truck to get, the only truck!

I want one! :D

-Michael

Sweet rigs. It'll be nice when you get them built and in the case. But don't forget the most important thing:
Take them and play with them on occasion.

Monkey Wrench,

That USA-1 is sweet looking! I remember back in the day when that was the truck to get, the only truck!

I want one! :D

-Michael

Thanks Woodie! Truth is, I have close to enough spares to build a whole other one, even a chassis!

Rob, That is one hell of a nice collection. I was too young when they were new to be able to afford one. I asked for one a few times at X-mas, but my parents never caught on that was what I really wanted. Still I am fortunate enough to have what I have today, and maybe I can end up with a few vintage pieces one day. Nice collection my friend. Thank you for sharing!

Tom

I have been selling off my Star Wars toy collection to finance my vintage RC collection. I figure that since both items basically just sit there, I should at least get the enjoyment of building it before it assumes the shelf queen position.

Very nice Rob Mob................It will be nice to see them in the case.......build on!!