Vanquish Pheonix

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AeroFrog

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Crawling
  2. Flying
My Brother just gave me this truck, brand new still sealed in the box. he said he didnt have time for it. I've never touched a crawler before this. messing around with it I'm having a blast, but I'm a tinkerer and see that I can add servos for Dig and Overdrive. I think I understand what dig does, but the overdrive has me very confused... can anyone explain the purpose of this? does it make the truck faster?

Pheonix.jpg

Man, I wish my brother would give me a badass Vanquish RC. That's sweet!

The overdrive I am assuming you are referring to diff gears? Having the front diff turn the wheels just slightly faster helps pull the truck over obstacles.

Unless you are referring to a different overdrive, like 2nd gear or something.

Overdrive in a rc crawler refers to the gear ratio for the front axle vs rear axle. Sometimes done with different differential gears, sometimes with the portal gears, or in the case of the phoenix, it is the gearing inside the transmission.
It overdrives the front axle a certain percentage more than the rear axle. So for every revolution of the rear tires the front tires will spin further.
There is a few reasons one might want this, it definitely helps to reduce the turning radius of the truck, and I've found it can help with side hilling. Legend has it the overdriven front tires can help pull a rig up an incline, but i haven’t experienced this in my own testing. But maybe in different terrain than my own it would be more effective for that.

Btw, what and excellent gift! Thats a very high caliber crawler you have there!

Overdrive in a rc crawler refers to the gear ratio for the front axle vs rear axle. Sometimes done with different differential gears, sometimes with the portal gears, or in the case of the phoenix, it is the gearing inside the transmission.
It overdrives the front axle a certain percentage more than the rear axle. So for every revolution of the rear tires the front tires will spin further.
There is a few reasons one might want this, it definitely helps to reduce the turning radius of the truck, and I've found it can help with side hilling. Legend has it the overdriven front tires can help pull a rig up an incline, but i haven’t experienced this in my own testing. But maybe in different terrain than my own it would be more effective for that.

Btw, what and excellent gift! Thats a very high caliber crawler you have there!
I didn't know they had the overdrive in the transmission. So is that selectable with a servo? If so, that's pretty wicked.

I didn't know they had the overdrive in the transmission. So is that selectable with a servo? If so, that's pretty wicked.
From vanquish:

“The VS4-10 Phoenix RTR is equipped with features never before offered in a scale RTR of its kind. The VFD Twin incorporates Selectable Overdrive Shifting and 3-position dig ready (servos not included*) into one compact package.”

VFD twin refers to the transmission used in the phoenix.

Thanks guys. now I'm even more excited about it. I didnt realize that the pheonix was high caliber. but yes the servos will connect to arms that appear to be coming out of the transmission.

Thanks guys. now I'm even more excited about it. I didnt realize that the pheonix was high caliber. but yes the servos will connect to arms that appear to be coming out of the transmission.
Yeah, Vanquish is top of the line stuff. After you find some decent servos, you'll need to setup their endpoints. Do you know how to do that on the radio you have?

From vanquish:

“The VS4-10 Phoenix RTR is equipped with features never before offered in a scale RTR of its kind. The VFD Twin incorporates Selectable Overdrive Shifting and 3-position dig ready (servos not included*) into one compact package.”

VFD twin refers to the transmission used in the phoenix.
Ahh, that is so cool! So I assume it is a single speed trans. Sorry, I've not looked into the Vanquish trucks much. But this is interesting stuff.

Yeah, Vanquish is top of the line stuff. After you find some decent servos, you'll need to setup their endpoints. Do you know how to do that on the radio you have?

Ahh, that is so cool! So I assume it is a single speed trans. Sorry, I've not looked into the Vanquish trucks much. But this is interesting stuff.
I'm not sure how to set endpoints on this radio. I do know how for my airplanes so i assume its similar. Just have to figure out this new transmitter.

Nice rig!

I just ordered an Element Ecto for my 2nd 1/10 scale crawler and am looking forward to it. Next one will be a Vanquish , they seem high level right out of the box.

I'm not sure how to set endpoints on this radio. I do know how for my airplanes so i assume its similar. Just have to figure out this new transmitter.
I can't even find a manual for that specific truck. Is that the VT-1 transmitter?

I have the builder kit version of that truck and it's great. I have servos installed for dig and overdrive. The overdrive is a bit extreme in my opinion but functions as it should. It's so drastic that it will ripple the tires on a high traction surface. I use it occasionally but find the dig function far more useful. Great truck. Very capable out of the box. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

I can't even find a manual for that specific truck. Is that the VT-1 transmitter?
I think so.
I have the builder kit version of that truck and it's great. I have servos installed for dig and overdrive. The overdrive is a bit extreme in my opinion but functions as it should. It's so drastic that it will ripple the tires on a high traction surface. I use it occasionally but find the dig function far more useful. Great truck. Very capable out of the box. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
Thank you. I'm sure I will have more questions soon

Back