V-Spec break-in is pissing me off, beefier bump box needed?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amoeba

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So I've got this shiny new .21 V-Spec for my RC8. Now that nicer weather has decided to visit the Seattle area I figured it was time to install it and start the break-in process. I put in a new fully-charged 12v in the OFNA 10250 startbox, got all the posts lined up perfectly, heated the V-Spec up with the heat gun and got to work.

Or not.

The pinch on the V-Spec is so freakin tight that when it hits the first TDC rev on the bump box all I end up doing is shaving rubber off the bump wheel. I've tried multiple tweaks & adjustments to ensure bump box motor is at full speed before flywheel engagement and I (once) got it to turn over about 3 revolutions before it was rubber dust time again. I can apply more pressure but the bump motor torque gives up before the V-Spec pinch does. I can rotate the flywheel by hand though it is very tight (but smooth) so it's not "catching" on anything physically blocking rotation. I've ordered a new rubber bell for the bump box.. I had to, I've now got grooves worn in mine from dicking with this. :(

I need a beefier bump box. This is pissing me off. Someone recommend the end-all be-all of OMGTORQUE! bump box to me. I'll get this damned V-Spec broken in if it kills me.

Note: Switching to pull/roto start not an option. There's no post on the con rod/shaft of the V-Spec for that to work. It's bump only baby!

Try putting some WD40 in it to lube it up a little more. Or some AFO. Then heat the poop outta it. Its gotta work after that...

Try putting some WD40 in it to lube it up a little more. Or some AFO. Then heat the poop outta it. Its gotta work after that...

Sorry, thought that was a given. Been there, done that.

Dang bro. I don't know what else to tell ya! I guess getting a better starter box might be the only way to go.

I have a Ninja .21 that was a bitch to start with the starter box even after I broke it in on a break-in stand.

The first few times I started it on my box I heated the engine case to 200 degrees.

After that I was able to get it started without the gun, but I had to make sure the piston was just on the negative side of bottom dead center so it had a little momentum when I pressed it down on my starter box before reaching the top.

Here is the box I use.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCLD9&P=7

I have a Ninja .21 that was a bitch to start with the starter box even after I broke it in on a break-in stand.

The first few times I started it on my box I heated the engine case to 200 degrees.

After that I was able to get it started without the gun, but I had to make sure the piston was just on the negative side of bottom dead center so it had a little momentum when I pressed it down on my starter box before reaching the top.

Here is the box I use.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCLD9&P=7

Yeah, I've been trying the just past TDC trick to get some momentum as well but still no luck. I'll see how high I can get the engine case temp up but I've gotten it to almost too hot to touch and still it taunts me.

Is that the OFNA #10249? It doesn't specify what motors it has in there. I'm curious if the OFNA #10244 Truggy box would have better torque for high compression engines. That one runs two 775 size motors.

EDIT: Rob, what break-in stand are you using? The Hudy?

Last edited:
The 10244 will turn most anything over. It could turn over my STS when I broke it in, and that beeech was fornicating tight.

I used the RD Logics stand.

Not as fancy as the Hudy, but it gets the job done at a cheaper price.

http://www.rdlogics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=15000&type=store

Hrm.. Not too shabby. You just pop on the propeller & adapter and you're good to go eh? I may pick one of those up if the OFNA Truggy bump box I just ordered isn't up to the job.

DOH. I just thought of something: add a head shim to lower the compression for the break-in. I'll have to see if I've got a 6k or 8k shim somewhere and try that....

You can loosen the plug as well. Once it's started you just tighten it down.

by chance do they make a harder rubber for the wheel for the bump start like a rubber/plastic wheel if so that might help not sure tho it might just eat it up faster not sure