Upgrade to 17mm hex

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCNITRO

RCTalk Talkaholic
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Boating
So I had these old 17mm hubs laying around and need to upgrade my savage to 17mm as the wheels are completely done thing is they fit but can't get the pins in so iam makeing pins out of a thinner aluminium rod / break linkage will this work ??

Attachments

• 20211007_004202.jpg
    20211007_004202.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 20211007_004216.jpg
    20211007_004216.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 20211007_004235.jpg
    20211007_004235.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 47
Use steel. Allen wrenches are a good choice if you have old ones. I've done that on traxxas wheels, top gear, spur gear and clutch shaft.

Use steel. Allen wrenches are a good choice if you have old ones. I've done that on traxxas wheels, top gear, spur gear and clutch shaft.
Aaaasa good man it's done now I'll see how it holds up bro thanks lol the only spar wheels I had where pro line buggy wheels 🤣🤣🤣🤷 have to do for now haha

Attachments

• 20211007_013659.jpg
    20211007_013659.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 37
Keep in mind you may need to regear going to a lighter wheel.

Aaaasa good man it's done now I'll see how it holds up bro thanks lol the only spar wheels I had where pro line buggy wheels 🤣🤣🤣🤷 have to do for now haha
Nice look. 👍👍 that thinner aluminum pins won't last long. Maybe a run. But not for long. And the buggy wheels won't hold up either. Hope you don't care about them🤔 buggy wheels aren't made to take the abuse of a nitro MT. But he'll give it a go. Worst that happens is your wheel goes faster past the your savage. 😉🤣🤣🤣
Keep in mind you may need to regear going to a lighter wheel.
I'm not sure they will last that long. To worry about re gearing it.. or the pin to be completely honest..🤔🤔

Even if the pins do hold up with such a drastically reduced rollout from the much smaller wheels its likely just gonna to wheelie every time you hit the throttle.
Will likely just spin the tires. I used to run 1/8th buggy wheels on my traxxas "slayer", which was a short armed nitro revo. Was a weird looking unit when I ran a truck body on it... was amusing for a bit, but since the arms were so narrow, it was very prone to tipping and bottomed out really bad... ended up converting it to a 3.3 chassis/big block revo.

I dont see aluminum pins holding up very well. I have made my own pins outa piano wire b4 i really dont see you having to re-gear due to lighter wheels unless diameter has changed...

Well I took it out for a spin and dammmmmm she was on top form ...poping all sorts of wheelees but like you all said after 3 tanks one of the pins gave in and the wheel went rolling about 100yards down the road hahaha but the smaller wheels worked just fine and top end was excellent 🤷👏👏👍

Well I took it out for a spin and dammmmmm she was on top form ...poping all sorts of wheelees but like you all said after 3 tanks one of the pins gave in and the wheel went rolling about 100yards down the road hahaha but the smaller wheels worked just fine and top end was excellent 🤷👏👏👍
Thats awesome. Had I feeling that might happen. But glad it worked for a little bit before the tire roll.👍👍

Back