Update on the Baja 5b

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rovan2021

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Recently purchased alloy wheels and a sand rail cage unfortunately the cage was of horrendous quality so I got to cutting the back end off as it was so far out even after bending and spending an age trying to rectify it all ! Next stage is paneling the rest ! Also removed the rear cross member to tidy the rear end up pretty happy with the result and will be glad when I can source some aluminum to start paneling it all up ! This is a budget build and when funds are available will be starting the paneling itself!

IMG_20210915_111517_1.jpg
IMG_20210915_111533.jpg
IMG_20210915_112405.jpg
IMG_20210915_111536.jpg
IMG_20210914_133201.jpg

Looks great, check out RovanRC on ebay. They stay stocked up pretty well. I messaged him them about some aluminum wheels and told me they would be back in stock in about a month. I love mine, she is my favorite rig.

@Rovan2021 , where did you purchase your wheels?

IMG_1038.JPG

Last edited:
Cash is always a problem that's for sure but if you possibly can Wolf, I highly recommend the Rovan. It is a kick in the ass and very cheap for a gas 1/5 rig.
Like I mentioned, there is a ton of part available and fun to mod. I have the Q shorty kit in mine and she likes to wheelie. Very cool looking out on the sand dunes... :)

Cash is always a problem that's for sure but if you possibly can Wolf, I highly recommend the Rovan. It is a kick in the ass and very cheap for a gas 1/5 rig.
Like I mentioned, there is a ton of part available and fun to mod. I have the Q shorty kit in mine and she likes to wheelie. Very cool looking out on the sand dunes... :)
My thing with the 1/5 scales is I dont have space to store them and they dont really fit on my workbench. The K8 I have is a pain to work on because of lack of room and its always in the way in the garage. cuz no good place to store it so I'm not sure I'll be getting any more 1/5ths. If I do though that one would move to the front of the line.

I totally understand. I guess I can't complain about the rental I live in. I have room.
I can't wait to get the X build done because next I am building an Outcast 8s.

Looks great, check out RovanRC on ebay. They stay stocked up pretty well. I messaged him them about some aluminum wheels and told me they would be back in stock in about a month. I love mine, she is my favorite rig.

@Rovan2021 , where did you purchase your wheels?

View attachment 132885
The alloys are awesome only issue I had is the edges of the hubs in the wheels hadn't been cleaned up properly and the paint was to thick , but once cleaned up fit nicely also the beadlocks you have to bolt down very slowly as there so tight so it was one turn of each bolt till it was fully seated then you can tighten it all down , the cage though is horendous hence me cutting the back end off it seems to be hit and miss from getting s good fitment some people have no issues others have lots 👍
The alloys are awesome only issue I had is the edges of the hubs in the wheels hadn't been cleaned up properly and the paint was to thick , but once cleaned up fit nicely also the beadlocks you have to bolt down very slowly as there so tight so it was one turn of each bolt till it was fully seated then you can tighten it all down , the cage though is horendous hence me cutting the back end off it seems to be hit and miss from getting s good fitment some people have no issues others have lots 👍
Awesome rig by the way 👍
That cage looks pretty cool. I want a 1/5th scale RC so bad!
You should get one ! There awesome
Sucks that the cage was such a problem, glad you stuck with it, she looks awesome!
It seems to be hit and miss with the cages from other people I've spoke to mine was hordneous so in the end I just chopped the back end away will be building a bulkhead panel to tidy up the rear end and then paneling forward from that 👍😊

What really confuses the crap out of me is, why sometimes companies only have the two front or rear available?

What really confuses the crap out of me is, why sometimes companies only have the two front or rear available?
Yeah pretty strange I can only assume people with lengthened arms may want 4 rears 🤔 I did toy the idea but would need hub extensions and would take the steering away and would strain the stock servo to much may be a future mod will have to see would love to do the 4wd conversion tbh saw a rear diff the other day for 30 was tempted 😂