Uneven tire wear

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primebeatz

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Tire wear after a few runs in the concrete parking lot. Does this look right?
20211203_104500.jpg

That's what camber does to tires. Looks pretty normal. Looks like you need some pavement tires for the surface you run bud.

Yeah its the camber.

That's what camber does to tires. Looks pretty normal. Looks like you need some pavement tires for the surface you run bud.
Thank you. I'm going to be practicing at the carpet track near me.

Thank you TNTproof. I will research that now!

Tire wear after a few runs in the concrete parking lot. Does this look right?View attachment 138478
Best I can tell your camber is too heavy. When you have too much camber, this is the result, incorrectly set camber and/or toe will make for bad handling and bad tire wear/scrub. Camber is how much your wheels are leaning in at the top, when you are looking at the car straight on (like when the car's on the table, and your eyes are just above the table edge looking at the front of the tires). Toe is how much your wheels are leaning in/out toward/away from the other wheel on that axle, and that's when looking at the car from straight above, bird' eye view style. Lemme know if you would like some guides on setting camber and/or toe on your rig, it'll drive/handle better and result in more even tire wear. I can say myself that setting your suspension/steering is worth it, makes the rig just handle and drive better! Cheers

If the opposite side has the same amount of wear, then great. At least they are equal. Is you camber optimal (pun intended :p)? All depends on what you are wanting from your buggy when cornering. When a RC car is going through a turn, the weight shifts and makes the car roll, thus changing the contact patch of the tires. You, most likely, are starting with a tad bit too much negative camber, because of the inside of the tires show more wear to them.

Depending on the hardness of the foams inside the tires, that will be a factor in your negative camber adjustment as well. I say "negative", because unless you have fixed caster blocks like Grasshoppers/Hornets, you will almost never see positive camber on a setup.

Also, look up camber gain as you can control the amount of it by how long your turnbuckles are.

Last edited:
Tire wear after a few runs in the concrete parking lot. Does this look right?
Start with a -1* of camber all around while you buggy is at normal ride height, and stock turnbuckle length locations. Adjusting camber, and camber gain will also affect other aspects of a setup.

Some good reading to start with... http://users.telenet.be/elvo/

Last edited:
If the opposite side has the same amount of wear, then great. At least they are equal. Is you camber optimal (pun intended :p)? All depends on what you are wanting from your buggy when cornering. When a RC car is going through a turn, the weight shifts and makes the car roll, thus changing the contact patch of the tires. You, most likely, are starting with a tad bit too much negative camber, because of the inside of the tires show more wear to them.

Depending on the hardness of the foams inside the tires, that will be a factor in your negative camber adjustment as well. I say "negative", because unless you have fixed caster blocks like Grasshoppers/Hornets, you will almost never see positive camber on a setup.

Also, look up camber gain as you can control the amount of it by how long your turnbuckles are.
What's the setup with the Grasshopper/Hornet? Isn't positive camber where your wheels are leaning out on the top, and makes for terrible handling?

What's the setup with the Grasshopper/Hornet? Isn't positive camber where your wheels are leaning out on the top, and makes for terrible handling?
Positive camber is like this: \-/
Negative is like: /-\

Yep, thanks, that's what I thought. Pretty sure almost no one runs negative camber
Negative camber is used for handling. A lot of drift cars have negative camber.

Negative camber is used for handling. A lot of drift cars have negative camber.
*Smacks forehead* Oops, I meant POSITIVE camber, not negative! That's what happens when I'm not paying attention...lol
Fixed it for you 😉
Yes, thanks Wicked! Really should double check what I type before I post it...come'n brain, pay attention!