TUTORIAL: Bead Locks made easy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I know a lot of us have given up on gluing tires since it's almost impossible to remove them without ruining the rim.
Bead locks solve the problem of swapping treads for different terrain or conditions but are usually stubborn and time consuming. You start one screw and the tire bead comes out on the other side. You try to hold the 2 halves of the rim together while trying to line up a nut with the screw and turn the hex driver at the same time. You're one hand short and the process gets very frustrating.
In this tutorial I'll be using the most complex rims I've ever used, so you'll see how easy it should be with a 5 lug pattern that most of the wheels have.

Here's a Humm Vee 2.2 alloy bead lock wheel from RC4WD. This is what I'll be working with.
DSCN2607.jpg

You can see how flat the side wall appears on the tire on the right and how it rounds out when fully mounted
DSCN2606.jpg

Here's the wheel out of the box and after painting. It comes assembled and you're already looking at 5 minutes
just taking it apart. There are 20 screws on each of these wheels and the manufacturer says it will be 45 minutes
to an hour to mount the tire to each one. We're about to knock it down to 20 non frustrating minutes.
DSCN2611.jpg

Here's the first one, torn down. Inner ring, front of the hub and the rear of the hub. After this tear down it gets a
quick shot of paint on the front to cover the area where the nuts were during the initial painting.
DSCN2627.jpg

Painted, dried and ready to go.
DSCN2609.jpg

On the left is a new tire with the foam rubber insert and on the right the inner ring has been added.
DSCN2608.jpg

On these rims the holes are not always a direct line-up any way you put them, so you must make sure
you can see through ALL the holes before you start putting in screws.
DSCN2610.jpg

Here's the amazing tool I'm selling for $39.95. Act now and shipping is free.
You can also get it in a hardware store for under a buck. The screw needs to be slender enough to fit through
the axle opening in the rear of the hub. The washers will come into play in a second.
DSCN2612.jpg

Put it through the washer and slide it in from the rear as shown here...
DSCN2613.jpg

Drop the tire on, put the front of the hub on, drop on the washer and spin the nut down with your fingers. No need to screw it tight, just enough to squeeze the two halves against the tire and line it up evenly with the center ring.
When the tire is perfectly centered on the front and the rear you can tighten it down a little more but there's no reason to go much past snug. You just want all the parts centered and secured to begin adding the lugs.
DSCN2615.jpg

If the tire is not perfectly centered, as shown by the slight gap on top, just loosen the "Special Tool" and realign it.
DSCN2617.jpg

Now I've triangulated 3 screws and snugged them down. NOT tightened, just snug. The "Tool" in the middle will loosen when the 3 nuts are snugged in place.
DSCN2619.jpg

Here the tool is removed and all parts of the assembly are in place and ready for all the screws. If you're doing a 5 lug wheel you can put all 5 in at once before removing the "Special" tool....(Patent pending)
DSCN2621.jpg

Next I did the inner ring. Again just snugging them and not tightening.
DSCN2622.jpg

Finally I did the outer ring, and once they were all in place I tightened each one a little at a
time in a cross pattern like torquing down a head. About 3 times around till they were tight, then tightened the inside row.
DSCN2626.jpg

There you have it. One down and 3 more to go.

Last edited:
Looking good. At first I thought those bolts were for show, they're not...

I made my own tool like that when I mounted the beadlocks on my Vaterra Ascender project.

I came up with it a few years ago when I was building my first big Humm Vee. If I hadn't figured it out back then, I'd still be sitting here trying to assemble those wheels.
Now on my second big Humm Vee, I wouldn't even think of using wheels other than those. I was at HobbyTown USA yesterday with one of them and the guys that worked there thought they were absolutely beautiful...and they are.

I made my own tool like that when I mounted the beadlocks on my Vaterra Ascender project.
You should have called me. I could have sold you one.

I came up with it a few years ago when I was building my first big Humm Vee. If I hadn't figured it out back then, I'd still be sitting here trying to assemble those wheels.
Now on my second big Humm Vee, I wouldn't even think of using wheels other than those. I was at HobbyTown USA yesterday with one of them and the guys that worked there thought they were absolutely beautiful...and they are.

You should have called me. I could have sold you one.

I tried, but you muttered something about darned whippersnappers and went back to sleep in your recliner....

Make sure you get the PayPal address right when you send me the $350. lol

Curious to know what you use to get all the wax out of the knurls on the scrwdriver handle??? Sure, you can use a toothbrush but that doesn't leave that nice shiny finish! :p

Ding ding ding!!! We haaaave a WINNNAH!!! Lmao!!!! Brand new tools! I don't suppose you do the same thing with bars of soap for when you wash your hands? Unwrap a brand new bar of antibacterial soap, use once and toss!?!? Lol! Think I saw that in CSI or some similar show... Detailing a man with a delightful OCD tick!

Back