Tunning a engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark dobson

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi is there anyone near Windsor that could turn my nitro engine. Iv only just got my first buggy I’ve ran 3 tanks though on idel as the manual says but just can’t do the tunning bit. It’s starting to P me of lol
O and to top it of it spits fuel out near the glow plug

Hi is there anyone near Windsor that could turn my nitro engine. Iv only just got my first buggy I’ve ran 3 tanks though on idel as the manual says but just can’t do the tunning bit. It’s starting to P me of lol
O and to top it of it spits fuel out near the glow plug

If you idled 3 tanks in already ,then the engine is ready to be leaned in some as it is set to be very rich
right now ,too rich on an engine would eventually do harm than good after break in ,it will become
hard to start ,blow fuel out at anywhere it finds a weak point an have poor performance!

The Hsn needle is the needle that you start with first ,while the engine is warmed up an running ,you
want to turn it in a 1/16 turn in at a time as you make each pass ,you will here the engine sound change
an the engine start to wake up & be more responsive ,make sure that you dont lean it out too much ,you
shouldnt have to go more than a 1/2 a rotation turn on the needle ,it doent take much or many turns!

Your engine will also start to idle or rev up higher ,when that happens ,find your idle set screw ,turn that
to lower the idle to calm the engine down!

Once you have achieved some good high speed passes with the Hsn settings with out any engine stutters ,
then you can go an fine tune the Lsn needle ,we can talk about that in another time ,that setting is for idle
to mid throttle take offs!
The leakage around the glow plug ,just loosen it an tighten the plug up a couple times ,it should seal up ,
an make sure the head screws are tight!

Ok thank your for the advice. Had another go trying to sort the tuning out. The high speed needle screw is really tight to turn is that normal

Ok thank your for the advice. Had another go trying to sort the tuning out. The high speed needle screw is really tight to turn is that normal

Yes ,that is the way it should be ,that means it dont leak & the o-rings are good ,I am offering you an
invite to some knowledgeable people on Discord ,do you except?.. :cool:

Yes ,that is the way it should be ,that means it dont leak & the o-rings are good ,I am offering you an
invite to some knowledgeable people on Discord ,do you except?.. :cool:
Ok that’s good. And yes I will except

You will get the insight of all true tuning an how to's on a nitro engine tune!
A flow chart does NOT tell you on how an engine sounds or what it needs or doing!..:rolleyes:
A flow chart does NOT tell you on how an engine sounds or what it needs or doing!..:rolleyes:
IN PERSOIN!

Ok ,just waiting on the moderators word on the invite pass!.. :thumbs-up:
Thank you

IN PERSOIN!
Thank you I’m going to try and sort it all out on Sunday

IN PERSOIN!
The flow chart might not be the be all end all of nitro tuning but it helped me out a lot when I was first learning to tune a nitro engine so I wouldnt say theres no value to it.

Hook a good foot of fuel tubing to the carbs inlet.
Turn both the high speed and low speed needle valves all the way in so they are both closed.
Open carb barrel fully and blow into the tube, while blowing turn the HSN out until you can blow freely. Usually 3-5 turns out.
Now close the barrel and make sure you have 1mm of a gap so the carb barrel is not fully closed. Once you have the carb closed with a 1mm gap, blow again while turning the LSN out until you can blow. This won't be so free flowing.
This is the best way to get the correct factory settings.
Start engine, rev the engine up to clear it out. Let it idle for 30 seconds.
While it's idleing-
Look to see if fuel is spitting out of the pipe, if so turn low speed in half turn.
Goose it, if the engine hesitates turn the high speed in half turn goose it again might just be in the ball park.

If at idle no smoke or spitting fuel out of pipe turn low speed out 1/2 turn.
You want steady smoke but not raw fuel spitting out.
Goose it, if no fuel or smoke, turn the HSN out 1/2 turn goose it again.

That's the best way in words to describe it.

I am a nitro head ,even a flow chart is confusing to me!..:hehe:
I'm not really sure why you think that flow chart is confusing but if it really is then write up a less confusing one by hand and I'll take it and draw it up in Microsoft Visio. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that could make use of a good tuning flow chart when you're out in the middle of field or quarry park by yourself and your tune is off and you're having a hard time figuring out why. The existing one was invaluable to me on many occasions back in the day but if it can be improved upon then lets improve it.