Tuning savage 5.9

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluetickduke

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm tuning my savage 5.9 and I can't seem to get it right..

I messed with my idle setting before checking my throttle trim and she hasn't been the same ever since..

It can pull wheelies but has troubles staying running unless trim is on. I can hear it shift to all the gears.

I finally got it to where the gears aren't jumping while she's sitting at idle but she tends to die unless I have the throttle trim up. Definitely doing some weird cutting out also after driving a few minutes, I'm having the wife grab some silicone when she's off work and imma seal everything up.

What's the best way to reset my idle to factory?

After the break-in, factory settings are a thing of the past. If you have to raise the trim to keep the idle going you only need to raise the idle setting as you lower the trim. At that point the only thing you do with the trim is to raise the idle for cold starts and warm ups.

I'm tuning my savage 5.9 and I can't seem to get it right..

I messed with my idle setting before checking my throttle trim and she hasn't been the same ever since..

It can pull wheelies but has troubles staying running unless trim is on. I can hear it shift to all the gears.

I finally got it to where the gears aren't jumping while she's sitting at idle but she tends to die unless I have the throttle trim up. Definitely doing some weird cutting out also after driving a few minutes, I'm having the wife grab some silicone when she's off work and imma seal everything up.

What's the best way to reset my idle to factory?

Check that brass screw on the end of the carb. ,an make sure that it didn't vibrate in or out ,it also tends to leak!

I had that issue when I first bought my 5.9 engine ,the o-rings dont properly seal ,an I had smeared silicone on it
years ago ,an now the silicone finally broke loose ,I am fixing mine as we speak!

The mix meter screw has to be flush with the housing ,it being loose ,it will vibrate in & out causing the engine
to run unstable an die!

Mine is doing the same thing as yours ,I had issues with it all morning ,then I remembered the silicone that
I put on it years ago ,an it had finally broke loose ,an sure enough ,the brass mix screw had vibrated in an closed
off ,so I opened it back up to flush an restarted it ,an it ran good again!

So what happens ,when it closed off ,it leaned the engine out ,causing the engine to rev very high an died
when I throttled ,also the fuel in the line quit drawing to the carb.!

So make sure that yours isnt doing the same!....:cool:

Definitely getting everything to seal it up lol I'm leaking from my fuel filter now ??

Definitely getting everything to seal it up lol I'm leaking from my fuel filter now ??

Some folks had bad dealings the 5.9 engine ,after I figured out what the issue was ,I never had a problem
with it for the past 10 years!

Carbs are junk on them ,an if I can get mine off ,I would put my AE 28 all metal 2 needle carb on it if
it fits the block!
On mine ,I never could get the carb off ,its like it froze on there for good!

I can take a pic of mine an show ya!...:cool:

Here is the pic of the mix meter ,I just smeared a little loc-tite on it for temporary fix until I
get some proper sealer ,the screw does have 2 tiny O-rings on it ,they are probably bad ,but the
carb did this new straight out of the box!

I am going to wait until tomorrow after the stuff cures ,then I will give it a go!... :cool: