Trying to do big jumps, without breaking!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bskarpa

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey guys, what is the best way to set up a t-maxx 3.3 to do some pretty intense jumps. We built these ramps, and I jump them out in the street (1st mistake) and when I did, I went about 15' in the air, ramps were about 10'-
12' apart, and I over shot my landing ramp about 8'-10'. In doing so, busted out the top and bottom of my throttle servo, and broke both fl & fr bulk head. being that was it, I felt I was pretty lucky. Here are pics of the ramps if it works. Just need any ideas how to beef up my t-maxx a little to keep from breaking stuff. Also is there any safe height that would be to high for these?
IMG00066-20090503-1603.jpg

IMG00065-20090503-1603.jpg

I would go to a thicker shock oil and increase the ride height.
Nice ramps too.

I would go to a thicker shock oil and increase the ride height.
Nice ramps too.

Thanks, I have went to the metel shocks, not sure what oil I have in them, but I will check. Thanks again.

Thanks, I have went to the metel shocks, not sure what oil I have in them, but I will check. Thanks again.

The ramps do look pretty good. I have seen them on youtube getting massive air and still landing unbroken. As previously stated shocks are a god start and the next step is figuring out the throttle when your in the air to make sure it lands on its wheels. throttle makes it do a backflip and the brake levels it out. Just gonna be trial and error my man.

i jumped my revo 20feet cart wheeled on its wheels and drove away

If you stay below 8 feet of air and land on your wheels all the time, you shouldn't have too many problems. 10+ feet and a bad landing will bend/brake pretty much any rig if landing wrong. 15+ feet will damage most after a few landings. 1/8 buggies are one of the platforms that can handle "huge" air repeatedly when landing properly.

If you have forward momentum to absorb some of the impact, you can get decent air all day long. It's the straight up and down big air that forces the suspension and chassis to dispense all of the force.

Personally, I'd keep the angle you have on that launch ramp, but cut it down by 1/3 to half as tall so I didn't risk breaking stuff every single jump.

All that said, traxxas big bore shocks w/40-45 weight and trinity blue springs, RPM arms, alloy bulks/bulk-braces/chassis rails and RC solutions spring steel skids and you can handle quite a bit of abuse before packing it in for the day.

I broke a lot of the stock fuel tanks and engine mounts just from good landings from big air. Ended up rearranging the chassis to fit a 125cc OFNA tank and a new era billet engine mount helped with avoiding day ending landings.

i wouldn't jump those ramps in the street anymore. just a suggestion... use them in grass.

All that said, traxxas big bore shocks w/40-45 weight and trinity blue springs, RPM arms, alloy bulks/bulk-braces/chassis rails and RC solutions spring steel skids and you can handle quite a bit of abuse before packing it in for the day.
Well this is what I was pretty much going to say too but Olds beat me to it so I will say a big +1. A good solid cage will also help protect the truck on the landings that end you up on the lid....It sadly takes a good bit of modding to make the Maxx a solid jumper and hard basher.

Thanks for yalls advice. Sounds good.

nice ramps......try hitting them at like half speed so it don't try to fly away.

My max is pretty beefed up, but I still wouldn't have much faith in it if I hit those ramps :)