trying something new

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D3MON

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
well decided to try something i am completely new too, electric on-road touring cars. had some money for amazon, and was toying with the idea of buying another rig. found a 3racing Sakura XI sport Ver.Nu, or a 3racing Sakura awd drif car right in my price range as a roller. decided to go touring car as it can be sort of converted over to drift if i really want to.
kit should be in the mail sometime this week i hope. initially going to build it with a 20T brushed setup, to learn the platform, and chassis. then eventually going to either get a 3000-4000kv system, or a 17.5 or 21.5T brushless system. really excited to build a kit as i have never built a true "KIT".
1588051997348.png

will post pics when it comes in! will try to also take pics of the build process as well if i can.

thanks, yeah didnt normally check the on-road section, but for some reason just wanted to try it. really excited for it to come in.
going to have to really learn lipos now lol.

well decided to try something i am completely new too, electric on-road touring cars. had some money for amazon, and was toying with the idea of buying another rig. found a 3racing Sakura XI sport Ver.Nu, or a 3racing Sakura awd drif car right in my price range as a roller. decided to go touring car as it can be sort of converted over to drift if i really want to.
kit should be in the mail sometime this week i hope. initially going to build it with a 20T brushed setup, to learn the platform, and chassis. then eventually going to either get a 3000-4000kv system, or a 17.5 or 21.5T brushless system. really excited to build a kit as i have never built a true "KIT".
View attachment 121991
will post pics when it comes in! will try to also take pics of the build process as well if i can.

That is actually a good deal for that an to get started!....:cool:

from what I've been reading, they are pretty competitive cars vs Associated and Xray in the VTA and USGT classes. dont really plan on racing as i dont have any tracks, but never know.

well car came in yesterday, ended up being a day early from expected.
got started on the build ended up making it quite aways further than expected. initially was just wanting to get to the bulkheads, but got all the way to building shocks.
first impressions:
build was alot of fun, the instructions are pretty easy to follow, there are a few things that i wish they would have clarified more. especially with their DOs, and DON'Ts.
baggies are excellently coordinated and separated (that i can tell at least, its my first new kit).
the only gripe i have about the model is the use of really really small (M1.6) almost stripped one of them. almost no resistance when they start getting tight.
learning belts that have been folded up for packaging are very frustrating...
my fingers are really sore lol (probably because my hex drivers though)
Pictures:
Box.jpg

Parts Bags.jpg

build 75%.jpg

hoping to get the chassis finished up this evening.
going to be an adventure learning LiPo, probably going to be asking questions about that later. i dont really plan on getting the best and baddest stuff, probably something to keep it simple. going to be running on 2s when i go brushless. (seems to be the norm with touring cars.)
really weird not mounting a nitro to one of my projects though...

got the build complete for now, new pinions and spurs of various sizes going to be in the mail today (or so USPS tracking says).
was only able to run it inside for a few minutes, but definitely a quick little car. i do mean little though, its really strange how small on-road cars are. the shocks are TINY!!! almost no fluid in them at all! guess I'm also used to LST and big bore off-road shocks though...
need to get some CA glue too, forgot my bottle dried up.
Brushed setup.jpg

that esc (DTX intellispeed 8T)is pretty old, but works very well. going to try ordering the ESC for it tonight.

got the build complete for now, new pinions and spurs of various sizes going to be in the mail today (or so USPS tracking says).
was only able to run it inside for a few minutes, but definitely a quick little car. i do mean little though, its really strange how small on-road cars are. the shocks are TINY!!! almost no fluid in them at all! guess I'm also used to LST and big bore off-road shocks though...
need to get some CA glue too, forgot my bottle dried up.
View attachment 122014
that esc (DTX intellispeed 8T)is pretty old, but works very well. going to try ordering the ESC for it tonight.

LOL...It kind of brings back mems ,it is funny on how they are still producing 50 year old technology!....:D

was an old ESC that i got (used no less) many many years ago for my Wheely King when its esc went out. lol manual says copyright 2002!

was an old ESC that i got (used no less) many many years ago for my Wheely King when its esc went out. lol manual says copyright 2002!

Back in the day when I ran boats ,I used the mechanical speed control ,they handled 14.4 volts ,however ,my losi jr ,I had
the $ 134.00 Super Rooster ESC by Novak & the $ 60.00 Modified Twister motor!

That was all good but for only 5 min. of run time!....:doh:

ESC ordered and should be here tuesday, forgot that i am going to need a sensor cable though.

was able to run the car today in an open parking lot. how i have it set up motor was getting close to 160F after about 10 minutes or so, so i called it. think i am just going to wait for the BL setup to really run it again, maybe. I'm kind of curious if my esc/motor combo will work with out a sensor cable, cable will be in on friday though.
was definitely alot of fun, very planted even though kind of a slick surface for on-road. (dusty parking lot) very point and shoot. definitely was not expecting that from a 100$ kit rc lol

got the brushless ESC, and Motor in, soldered up and all. got a motor fan, and fabbed up a little shroud to direct air.
body should be in today so i can get it trimmed up and installed (hopefully).

1589477395877.png

tuesday also received my LiPo and charger, was kind of nice even though it was ordered through 2 different businesses within amazon, and a few hours apart was able to get them same day in the same package. the lipo wasn't supposed to be in till friday!
1589477596690.png

pretty easy battery charger to work even as green as i am to LiPo and stuff.
so weird having LiPo now, going to be getting an ammo can asap to charge in, so far using a steel container, but barely works for what i need it to do.
it is really crazy how fast this little car is now. definitely going to be burning through tires before long.

Not bad,I've been toying with getting something like that. I love the drag racing style cars I've seen. Hmmm

Coming from someone that is typically nitro MT primarily, it is great fun and I highly recommend trying it out. It is great especially for when places to run nitro is restricted, and all you have is pavement, that said these do sit about 4.5-7mm above the ground, so make sure you have a place to run with minimal rocks/pebbles.

Well I think they'll like it better then running my 1/5 scale. Though the 1/5 is better then the biker boys lately. I think I heard the loudest dang bike ever the other day,were talking open header drag bike!!.

Well I think they'll like it better then running my 1/5 scale. Though the 1/5 is better then the biker boys lately. I think I heard the loudest dang bike ever the other day,were talking open header drag bike!!.
damn, yeah definitely not quite, i have a CRF450 and that is loud as hell even with a small header leak. couldnt image open header.
its pretty crazy how cheap you can get into on-road with these though especially if you already have batteries and radio gear, 110$ for the chassis B/L combo for like 60$ from Hobbyking, and a body. i found a cheap body i am going to use as my beater body for 17$ on amazon.
you will need to get different gear sets though unless you are going to run really high KV. from RaceVTA.com spurs and pinions are only around 5$ each though.
side note:
ordered a new chassis plate, front A-arms, hub carriers, steering knuckles, and a steering rack in case i break something. shipped was about 40$ and they seem to be the wear parts (chassis plate not as much, but i have less than optimal surfaces).
once i get better and get some money set aside i want to go the VTA (vintage trans am) styled car route. get the tires/body etc. i really want to paint another body XD

Back