traxxas xrt gear ratio

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucegregorg

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
so since hobby wing is sending me a new esc and i do not want to overheat it. i am trying to figure out what gear ratio to go with. i have the hobby wing 5687 with max 5 esc and i had to go with a lot larger pinion gear due to the motor will only drop down so much it has a 32 pinion and 50 spur not a lot of options but i can go to a 56 spur and maybe a 30 tooth pinion is there a chart somewhere for the set up i have??

what k are you running? how many cells? what size tires? all the info i asked for matters..get a ir temp gun

1100 kv motor traxxas xrt stock tires two 4s 6700 batteries which makes it 8s
what k are you running? how many cells? what size tires? all the info i asked for matters..get a ir temp gun

There has to be a gearing chart for my setup i dont think 20 and 40 will work because the motor is almost touching now

There's a gearing chart in the manual.

dint get you were running 8 cells the gear ratio is going to make esc and motor over heat. i dont run 8 cells.if you can id go up in spur teeth amount so you can get a 27 ish tooth spur in that and monitor esc/motor after less than a minute of run time

8 S here. Everything stock.

I ripped all the teeth of the stock 20 / 50 gears. So I put in the included 23/46. GPS said 52.7 mph and still accelerating where I ran out of room. Front tires ballooning a lot, made it hard hard hard to steer.

Too fast for me.

I got the hardened 20/50 gear set installed now. Rips trenches in the St Augustine grass again and can still go too fast for me.

I put the stock traxxas esc until my hobbywing is here it seems to run fine with the 32 50 setup i found a 56 spur gear i am going to order it. I got the 32 47 from you tubers who run the hobby wing setup but i thought the 32 50 would be ok i have a temp gun so i can make sure its not over geared

What did you end up going with?
35/20 went to mod 1.5 the teeth are bigger so it was equal to 32/50 now it runs 56mph but the mod gears are stripped cheap china junk. now i have power hobby gears and i am going to try a 50 spur and a 34 pinion it was geared too low because even pulling some throttle out of it with the programmer it would flip and wheelie at almost any speed

Damn I just ordered 35/25 1.5 mod off of eBay, hope it will be okay in my xrt with max 5 combo. Bc that combo ate 2 powerhobby gears

IMG_4063.jpeg

I just installed power hobby gears pinion is 36 and 50 but the big gear is traxxas I am hoping to slow the motor down a little since it runs 56mph and flips over so easy I am thinking more top end and less take off I also have the programming card I can pull some take off out of it.

hopefully it doesn’t eat the gears like mine did. Think the max 5 1100kv was too much for it and the stock spur gear shaft. The picture I attached was less than 2 mins of run time on that power hobby 50t the pinion was a 24t. Hopefully the 1.5 mod/ gears from eBay will set me straight

I've been using Saga custom gears on my XRT and Xmaxx with zero problems. Amazing gears and they're the only mod 1 gears I've found that can withstand the flexible nature of traxxas motor mount/spur setup

https://www.sagacustomrc.com/store/c7/Mod_1_Gears.html

Personally I rather use good mod 1 gears over mod 1.5 simply because they sound better.

Back