Traxxas Tmaxx Burning through glowplugs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jac30898

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So my problem is my 2.5 Traxxas tmaxx is burning through glowplugs. I’ll get one to three decent runs before I have to change them out again. Is this because I’m running it too rich or they’re getting too hot? Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

So my problem is my 2.5 Traxxas tmaxx is burning through glowplugs. I’ll get one to three decent runs before I have to change them out again. Is this because I’m running it too rich or they’re getting too hot? Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

If the filament of the glow plug is crispy looking ,then your probably too lean ,if the filament is looks broke an distorted ,
then your probably too rich ,a very rich setting is hard on the entire engine ,not only does the engine has to deal with
high compression ,it would have to deal with a lot of fuel ,it is hard on the glow plug an also piston rod ,also may cause
the engine to over work an create more heat!

Also ,Traxxas fuel is trash if that is what your using!

If the filament of the glow plug is crispy looking ,then your probably too lean ,if the filament is looks broke an distorted ,
then your probably too rich ,a very rich setting is hard on the entire engine ,not only does the engine has to deal with
high compression ,it would have to deal with a lot of fuel ,it is hard on the glow plug an also piston rod ,also may cause
the engine to over work an create more heat!

Also ,Traxxas fuel is trash if that is what your using!
I’m not using Traxxas fuel, and I appreciate your help. I’ll look more closely at the plugs to see which way I need to go.

I've also found that if you are using a higher nitro fuel then recommended, add a head shim or two, or you can also eat glow plugs.

I've also found that if you are using a higher nitro fuel then recommended, add a head shim or two, or you can also eat glow plugs.
What do you mean by add a head shim? I’m not familiar with what that is.

Here's a little vid I put together on the G-27. Start about the 4 minute mark.

What fuel (brand/nitro content) are you using? If you have them still, post up photo's of the inside of the glowplug.

Does the engine take too long to start and you hold your glow igniter in for too long? That will be your problem, if not try preheating your engine before you start it mate so it’s easier on the entire engine.

I would say too lean, usually a Tuning issue.
Here is a pick of how to run 2 glow plugs.
E8BD83BD-5E7E-404F-9EF1-98FB5E7E0C9C.png