Traxxas Summit 1/10 - why brushed for +£500?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhdg

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Traxxas TRX-4 Defender and Traxxas Stampede VXL 2wd. Now looking at a Summit 1/10 for some in between the two fun. Think it is just what I want with the high/low ratio, 4wd and I'm not looking for outright speed.

I don't understand why the 1/10 costs over £500 but only comes with a Brushed motor. Yes I could upgrade, but a) presumably there are reasons why Traxxas use a Brushed motor and b) given the price territory I'm not enamoured about spending even more.

What am I missing? Cheers!

Not 100% sure why they dont offer a brushless version of this truck. Could be something to do with it being a trail truck as most trail trucks use brushed motors. Part of why it costs so much has to do with the prices of everything going up. Not long ago that kit could be bought brand new for around $450 USD. Another reason is because its huge. Traxxas calls it a 1/10 but it is not. Its bigger than a lot of 1/8 scale MTs.

Heres a pic of the Summit next to an extended chassis Savage
3298822921_e960fc4380_b.jpg

the sumit has always been pricey to me..I love my 775 brushed setups..but thought about a brushless but never made that leap.as said above summit /revo in 1/10 scale are larger than most 1/8 scales

Hi, I have a Traxxas TRX-4 Defender and Traxxas Stampede VXL 2wd. Now looking at a Summit 1/10 for some in between the two fun. Think it is just what I want with the high/low ratio, 4wd and I'm not looking for outright speed.

I don't understand why the 1/10 costs over £500 but only comes with a Brushed motor. Yes I could upgrade, but a) presumably there are reasons why Traxxas use a Brushed motor and b) given the price territory I'm not enamoured about spending even more.

What am I missing? Cheers!
Not a Traxxas expert, but my guess for is that:
A) A lot of trail trucks/crawlers use brushed motors (don't quote me on that) because of the fine control, especially at very low speeds, brushless motors have good control too, just they are a little less sensitive at very low speeds (in my limited testing). With crawlers, since you're going so slow and they're geared low, run-time and effeciency usually isn't an issue, and I would guess that the motor/ESC don't get too got, plus crawlers don't need high top-end speed. Obviously, because it's crawling, a lot of the time a brushed motor is picked for it's fine control, no one wants to blip the throttle and have their over geared brushless crawler jumping out of the course (we're bordering rock bouncing territory here)!

Also, it's cheaper for Traxxas to include a brushed motor...and because this is marketed as a lager scale "fast crawler", they know they have more leeway here going with a brushed motor. I'd say (if you get the Summit) that just run it till the brushed motor and/or ESC dies, then go brushless if you would like. Hopefully this helps!

They call it a 1/10 because of the chassis it's built on. It uses the same chassis as the E Revo which is a 1/10 MT. I have 2 Revo MT's a nitro and a brushless which I built built from the ground up with a mamba monster x esc and a 15 series 2650kv CC motor on the Revo/Summit chassis. Brushless motors are super torquay and much faster than brushed, obviously. Lol
I guess it depends on what you want to do with your Summit what motor you want to use. If you're just doing crawler stuff and that type of stuff you might want a brushed motor. But then again the new castle esc's have the castle link which you can fine tune your performance for your needs to quite the broad spectrum. There is even crawler mode that you can set it to which I haven't tried yet. But I imagine it would change things as far as jumping off the course from too touchy of a throttle. They have specific crawler esc/motor setups too I believe

They call it a 1/10 because of the chassis it's built on. It uses the same chassis as the E Revo which is a 1/10 MT.
Yeah but the Revo isnt a 1/10 scale either. Its really closer to a 1/8 Scale MT. Heres a size comaprison between a Revo and a 1/8 Scale Kraton 6S.
Qjd48IL.jpg

RC manufacturers have gotten out if hand with the whole scale thing.

Yeah but the Revo isnt a 1/10 scale either. Its really closer to a 1/8 Scale MT. Heres a size comaprison between a Revo and a 1/8 Scale Kraton 6S.
View attachment 138519
That's more like it, I can tell even from videos that the Summit isn't a 1/10. You'd think that Traxxas would want to advertise it as a bigger truck...because it is! I think it might have been designed/planned to be a 1/10, but then maybe the Traxxas designers realized that it needed bigger, almost 1/8 sized tires, but then they stretched the chassis and shell to accommodate the bigger tires and give more room for the internals, and then they ended up with a near 1/8 scale rig. I like the F-150 (at least I think it's the F-150, could be one of the bigger versions) shell!

Back