Traxxas Stampede 2wd 3S Basher

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I forgot to write for a longer time to be honest. :D
I will go through everything that happened since my last post in a short time.

About the new parts:
I love the Tires. I really do, they find grip where they shouldn't find any. But they baloon. Like A LOT. It got harder to just acclerate to max speed with them. But when going full throttle on Tarmac while already driving about 40 km/h (~24 mp/h), they made it Wheelie and flip on its roof (with the Wheelie Bar!).
And the Spare Parts...well they fit and work.

About after 11 packs, the original drive shafts went...so I had to get new ones.

The new parts I have gotten in the time:
  • T-Bone 62031 XV4 Front Bumper
  • T-Bone 62050 Servo Guard
  • RPM 80402 Shock Shaft Guards (x2...)
  • TKR1951X Tekno Drive Shafts
  • TKR2210 Tekno Long Driveshafts
About those new Parts:
- I like the Front Bumper and the Servo Guard. The Bumper looks great and feels like it would protect the car (and did it in some crashes...). And, if you ask me, they improve the Handling (because of 2 reasons): 1. You have more weight in the Front. This makes it Wheelie a little less [Don't take this negative, even if you love Wheelies! It still Wheelies, even at 50 km/h (~30 mp/h), but the Wheelies get a little more controllable. With the Tires it even wheelied on a dusty smooth Metal Plate...]. Also, more weight on the front should improve its cornering a bit. 2. I have the feeling it is a bit better aerodynamically, as the Body isn't as open as it was in the front. So I had the impression that it didn't flip on its roof so easy when wheelieing because there was less air pushing the Body to the back.
- The Shock Guards...well, I think they are a nice added protection, BUT: I stripped out one of the Rod Ends (could even be my fault because of overtightening). The Rod End held on for a bit, but started popping off of the shaft. Wouldn't be that big of a deal...but you need the Rod Ends out of this set, and they only get sold in this set. So I had to get an complete new set of Shock Guards just to get a fitting Rod End...thats bulls**t.
- The Drive Shafts, oh the Drive Shafts, lets start with the positive (and important) part.....they are very nice. Very nice Quality parts, they feel bulletproof, and I really like the new set up options. I used the rear hubs with 1,5° Toe in and adjusted Rear Tires to a bit negative Camber thanks to the different mounting holes. Now the negative part...just the TKR1951X DO NOT FIT on the electric Stamede, only on the Nitro one, you need the additional TKR2210 for the electric... . First of all, yes, it is written on their website, but not clearly enough in my opinion. Secondly, it sucks that there isn't a set for the electric one, so if you have that one, you have to get both parts and now have obsolete parts at home you paid extra money for. And what pissed me on the most: I'm from Germany. I ordered the Tekno parts from Finnland (part of the European Union => fast delivery, no dealing with Customs) so that I can go to drive soon again => discovered they don't fit without the second part => had to order the second part from the US because I hadn't found it anywhere in the EU => had to wait long before driving again. That really was disappointing.
But after all that said, I like the result. The Traxxas metal option would be only a bit cheaper, have less features in my opinion, and I don't want to pay them the money for the shafts, as I think it is a bad joke to put on driveshafts that don't hold up (11 packs, almost no jumping...) and sell a pricey upgrade (Yes, I know, I bought the Brushed Version as a roller...but the VXL version also comes with plastic drive shafts).

Now, I have putten about 17 packs through it.
I have to be honest here...I really like the car. It is a real fun machine, and it really delivers at that.
What I especially like is the fact that it now is controllable in the air (worse than a 4wd of course), I had a run on the Skate Park with this thing, and could even it out on Jumps and pull of Backflips easylie [I personally think this is because of the power, the Louise Tires, and the now removed flex in the Drivetrain (Metal instead of Plastic Driveshafts).]
It even has enough Momentum to put itself up on its tires again when its laying on its roof by pressing Throttle, Brake, Throttle, Brake,...... (but strangely only on grass, on tarmac it gets blocked by its Wheelie Bar ; this only works when only the roof touches the ground, it will not work when it leans to its side so one of the tires touch the ground ; and yes, I know, bad for the Diff...but I just had to try it :D ).

Broken Parts...this is where it gets fun. I had a really bad crash with this thing...when at the Skatepark, I missed a Jumpface (had a bad looking angle), and next to it were concrete stairs. I crashed directly into this ''concrete wall'', at about 40-50 km/h (~24-30 mp/h) if not faster while acclerating for a jumpface....all the following broken parts are from this crash:
  • Servo Saver (the Servo works though)
  • Chassis
  • Front Bulkhead
  • Front Shock Tower
  • 2 M4 Screw bend (holding the upper part of the Front Bumper to the chassis and Bulkhead)
  • Front right Shock Cap popped of
Also the Body is pretty f***ed, but this was obvious and not because of the crash above. I wanted to get a new one and my old one looked pretty bad...so to fasten up the process of breaking it (to get a new one without guilty consciousness and paint it up fast) I removed all the reinforcing tape before driving it.

So, I now will get all the spare parts and a new body. The only thing I won't buy are new shock caps, I put the old one on (with some tape on the threads). I hope I can drive this like that to June, and will get Aluminium Shocks in June.

P.S.: Sorry for the long post, a lot of stuff at once. :D And you will se some pictures again in the next post. :)

Last edited:
looking forward to seeing the pics of it. I run the same Tbone parts and in the process of installing the Proline suspension kit which is mostly done however the shock tower Proline supply does not fit the standard mounts. They assumed they would and advertised that they do, but they don't. They said that Traxxas must have changed something recently (same for the dog bones) but my Stampede is 2.5 years old

I thought the Stampede 2WD was only 2s capable BTW?????

@Lazy Bushman "Recently" :D
Well, I looked it up, the Stampede 2wd VXL seems to be 3S capable. This doesn't really matter for me though, mine has a Hobbywing Max10 and an Arrma 4-Pole 3600kv (out of my old Arrma Fury BLX) inside, and they surely are 3S capable. :)
(I bought mine as a Roller of the Brushed Version in my Hobbyshop)

Ok I don’t think I have the VXL just whatever the basic 2wd one is. I now need to go check the box

The basic one shouldn't be 3S capable, your are right. But I changed the electronics, and as far as I know they put the same driveshafts in all versions (if this was the part that your question originated from).

@Lazy Bushman
Funny thing is, the base of my build was the exactly same truck, only in the Version without Battery & Charger :D

And I got mine as a Roller, with another Body...basically, this is how I got it (if you're interested):

I called my hobbyshop and asked him, if he could just take out the stock electrics and sell it to me as a Roller (I had a completely new Tactic TTX300 Radio and Arrma ADS-7M Servo left over from my BRCC, and I had the Arrma BLX80 ESC and 3600kv Motor from my Arrma Fury BLX).
He offered to sell it to me as a Roller for 180€ (normally the RTR sells for 200€ in his shop), and I agreed, as I had no use for the stock electrics.

Then it arrived...in the wrong colour. Not that big of a deal, but still, I explicitely ordered the Rock and Roll Colour Sheme and it came in Blue. So he offered me that I could just take one of the new spare Stampede Bodys he had laying around in the colour I wanted, and he would keep the blue one. I then asked him if I could have the clear Body with prepainted Graphics and a can of Tamiya Paint, and he agreed (The clear body and the Tamiya paint combined were about the price of a painted body, maybe 1€ difference).

Well, and the rest is all written in the thread :D

I have a proline body waiting to be painted up for mine

@Lazy Bushman Nice, whitch Proline Body? And post your results please ;)
I find this especially hilarious because I'm going to paint up my new Proline 2017 Raptor Body (3470-00) for the Stampede in about 10 hours if it won't rain. Pictures will be coming with the next thread update :D

@Lazy Bushman Nice, whitch Proline Body? And post your results please ;)
I find this especially hilarious because I'm going to paint up my new Proline 2017 Raptor Body (3470-00) for the Stampede in about 10 hours if it won't rain. Pictures will be coming with the next thread update :D
hmmm I can't remember and I'm interstate at the moment so I can't just duck out to my shed and have a look. I'm then in another state next week as well but let you know when I get home (assuming I remember). I have my body mounts on the way now so hopefully I can finish upgrading my Stampede this weekend and get it off my bench. Just need to agree colours with the kids and get the shell then painted

So, I haven't repaired the Truck, but I have painted up my body, so there is a little Sneak Peek of it in the post (pictures of the whole Truck will follow soon).

New Parts (what I used for the Body):
  • Pro-Line 3470-00 Ford F-150 Raptor Body
  • Tamiya PS-1 White
  • Tamiya PS-23 Gun Metal
  • Tamiya PS-28 Flourescent Green
  • Tamiya 87063 & 87033 (Masking Tape)

I made a few mistakes on the Body, but as this is my first Body painted up with multiple colours I'm pretty satisfied.

Well, Let me know what you think about it, and how much you think the mistakes spoil it. :D

@Lazy Bushman Okay, I would really appreciate seeing your work. :)

So, I haven't repaired the Truck, but I have painted up my body, so there is a little Sneak Peek of it in the post (pictures of the whole Truck will follow soon).

New Parts (what I used for the Body):
  • Pro-Line 3470-00 Ford F-150 Raptor Body
  • Tamiya PS-1 White
  • Tamiya PS-23 Gun Metal
  • Tamiya PS-28 Flourescent Green
  • Tamiya 87063 & 87033 (Masking Tape)
I made a few mistakes on the Body, but as this is my first Body painted up with multiple colours I'm pretty satisfied.

View attachment 118896

View attachment 118897

View attachment 118898

View attachment 118899

Well, Let me know what you think about it, and how much you think the mistakes spoil it. :D

@Lazy Bushman Okay, I would really appreciate seeing your work. :)

Nope not exactly the same, I have the Silverardo body as you will see by the pic

Attachments

• IMG_9318.JPG
    IMG_9318.JPG
    236.2 KB · Views: 190
Nice :D I would really like to hear which coloursheme you have decided on.

So, I have putten new parts on the truck and got it running again:

Body:
  • The Body I painted up in a previous post
  • AR390165 Body Clip Retainer
Spares:
  • TRX3622A Chassis
  • TRX3639 Shock Tower
  • TRX2530A Front Bulkhead
  • TRX1844 Servo Saver
  • 2x fitting M4 Screws from my LHS
Tuning:
  • TRX2660 Aluminium Shocks long
  • TRX2662 Alumnium Shocks XX-long
I also have run it since then, it now has 19 packs threw and it needs a new spur. :D

About the new parts:
The spares are, well, spares.
The shocks look nice and feel smoother than the old ones.
And the Body, well it looks nice and seems to be tough.

Also, a few short running clips will be here soon, so stay tuned!

As I haven't posted any pics the last few updates, here are a few:

First of we have the Chassis:

Here is the reason why the old body is retired:

Last edited:
And here, last but not least, a few pics of the truck with the body on (Special thanks go out to two friends of mine who made this pics, as they are far better then mine ? ):

Back