Traxxas slayer pro 4x4 won’t start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nordstromj2018

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to this whole nitro RC stuff. Anyways I bought a slayer pro with the 3.3, out of the box, had a bad GP. Changed it out, broke the motor in per traxxas instructions, burned the plug again. Bought 2 more and wouldn’t ya know, 1 bad right from the get go. So anyways, I’ll get back to the real task at hand. I was running my car last night, out of no where it died. Had half a tank of fuel, but wouldn’t start. I let it sit for the night, came back this morning and still won’t start. Glow plugs good per ezstart, but I’m getting raw fuel out of the tail pipe. Could the EZ start be getting a false signal for the glow plug somehow? I’ll post a video in a bit of how it’s going while trying to start it.

That's tough luck. butt the good news is that you can call 888-872-9927 and talk to a traxxas nitro man while you work on it and tell you what to do. If you need any parts they will send them to you free

A few years back the Traxxas EZ-starts wands were notorious for failing to light the plug while still showing a green light. A LOT of us dealt with that issue. Rather than get another one that might have the same problem we just got a separate igniter. Plug in the EZ-start, put on the igniter and press the button. The other advantage of this is you can leave the igniter on after unplugging the starter in case you need to give it an extra warm up.

I use OS #6 plugs and the stock spring on ez start wont fit so I use a hot shot on mine

1. Remove the glow plug.
2. Attach the glow wire to the plug.
3. Touch the threads of the glow plug to a bare piece of the engine stand or the cooling head.
4. Insert easy start wand into starter port, bush button.

If the system (and plug) is working correctly, you will see the glow plug coil glow bright orange.

Note: ensure you cover the glow plug hole with a clean, lint free rag when the plug is removed. This will keep garbage out of the cylinder, and will catch any unburned fuel from the rotation of the engine. You could unplug the starter motor as well, but it's still a good idea to ensure the hole is covered regardless.

Hope this helps

Appreciate it guys! I think my ez start is giving me a false light for my glow plug... I can ground the threads out and she don’t glow at all. Guess I wait till Monday to go buy more plugs... or do you guys know of one that lasts longer than these damn 3232x by traxxas? Because obviously I’ve had 50/50 chance at getting a plug that works from traxxas ?

OS A5 plug is a good all around plug. Before you spend any more money, check the pins (male and female), and make sure they are not corroded or pushed out of place within the pin housing.

Okay so now I got the glow plug lighting up while grounding it out on the pins, but it won’t suck fuel... don’t understand why this thing is confusing me so much

Are you placing your finger over the exhaust stinger while rotating the engine?

Yes, not moving fuel at all.. I think the carb is either clogged or something got bumped on the carb while I was tightening my slipper clutch

Remove the air filter. Power up the electronics and look down the barrel of the carburetor, check to see if the idle gap is equal to that of a credit card width. As long as the engine is in good shape it is very difficult for the physical settings of the carb to be changed without a screwdriver, it can happen, but rare. The reason a carb needs adjusted on the regular is not because of model vibration, crashes, etc. it's generally attributed to changes in the weather.

If this does not work, get back with me and we will start from scratch.