Traxxas Slayer Pro 4x4 Rebuild

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jv024899

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I purchased a very good, but unloved Traxxas Slayer 4x4 last month. Taking out everything, cleaning it, and putting her back into her deserved glory.

Something, however, seems to be a little off. :)

IMG_8582.jpg

What engine are you going to put back in there @jv024899?
I will likely start with a TRX 3.3 with a OS 11K carb on it. Not the sexiest beast in town, but that combination worked well on my Revo 3.3!

I'm waiting on some headers, springs, and a body. I will update soon!

Break in time

Wanted to take a couple pulls, while we were at temperature, too. Yes I'll fix the LSN/Idle in a bit. Don't worry.

I had fun with a slayer for a while. Didn't care for the big body and just ran a truck body on it. The big body acted like a parachute and caused me to crash a lot off bigger jumps. I just ran a 2.5R in mine I think and it was plenty for the wheels that thing ran. I ran 1/8th buggy tires/wheels on it. Don't think I even tried the stock tires/wheels. Mine was also the 2.5R chassis, so it was shorter. I ended up getting a 3.3 chassis, converting it to a revo and then putting a big block in it... lol. But it was fun for a while in it's shorter armed form.

I had fun with a slayer for a while. Didn't care for the big body and just ran a truck body on it. The big body acted like a parachute and caused me to crash a lot off bigger jumps. I just ran a 2.5R in mine I think and it was plenty for the wheels that thing ran. I ran 1/8th buggy tires/wheels on it. Don't think I even tried the stock tires/wheels. Mine was also the 2.5R chassis, so it was shorter. I ended up getting a 3.3 chassis, converting it to a revo and then putting a big block in it... lol. But it was fun for a while in it's shorter armed form.
Cool, man. What kind of truck body did you put on it?

Think it was just some generic traxxas body... I didn't even put stickers on it. It looked pretty stupid, but I just wanted something on it for protection.

From 2010:
2010-0403-SlayerLeft-TruckBodyOn.jpg

This is from 2016, waaaay after I converted it to a BB and 3.3 chassis, but it's the last photo I took with a body on it. It's the same body still! lol!
2016-1210-RevoBB-SideBody.jpg

And from last year when I put a new set of springs on it:
2020-0723-BBRevo-RCRavenSprings-top.jpg

The only "slayer" part still on it is the transmission primary output gears. I replaced all the other gears with RRP steel and for some reason, left the stock plastic primary gears in it, which is why the gearing I have seems waaaay too low for a big block, 14/40 gearing! The slayer final output gears were much taller than revo to compensate for the smaller tires.

I have a 2wd slayer and to prevent the parachute I put 3 holes in windshild at base then cut vent holes in back area where fan pictures where....

Think it was just some generic traxxas body... I didn't even put stickers on it. It looked pretty stupid, but I just wanted something on it for protection.

From 2010:
2010-0403-SlayerLeft-TruckBodyOn.jpg

This is from 2016, waaaay after I converted it to a BB and 3.3 chassis, but it's the last photo I took with a body on it. It's the same body still! lol!
2016-1210-RevoBB-SideBody.jpg

And from last year when I put a new set of springs on it:
2020-0723-BBRevo-RCRavenSprings-top.jpg

The only "slayer" part still on it is the transmission primary output gears. I replaced all the other gears with RRP steel and for some reason, left the stock plastic primary gears in it, which is why the gearing I have seems waaaay too low for a big block, 14/40 gearing! The slayer final output gears were much taller than revo to compensate for the smaller tires.
This is good inspiration. Thank you for showing me these.

I have a 2wd slayer and to prevent the parachute I put 3 holes in windshild at base then cut vent holes in back area where fan pictures where....
Also a good idea. I'm just not sure if I want to drop a 1:10 monster/megatruck body on it, or stay with the short course theme.

Back