Traxxas Slash new motor faster in reverse

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeTR

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I recently bought the Spektrum Kit with the 4000Kv Motor & ESC combo for my 2WD Traxxas Slash. It was a very simple to setup, match the colors etc. Issue I am having is this: I took it for a spin after putting together and I noticed reverse was forward, and forward was reverse. So I followed the programming steps, (hold power+program bla bla) and went through the beeps. This fixed the issue, but then I realized that it was slow as hell, and after further inspection realized reverse was MUCH faster then forward. I tried to do the reset on my The TQ 2.4GHz radio to see if that helped and it did not. So after much research everything I read said "Just switch two of the 3 wires from the motor to the ESC". Well I tried that, and it did fix it. BUT I can't imagine there is not another fix? I can't imagine I would buy a kit that has the motor+ESC combined, wires color matched, and I have to change the wires for it to work correctly?

Any thoughts? Is switching the wires safe/void warranty etc.

Mike

Switching the wires is completely safe as long as its a sensor-less motor (which seems to be your case so you'll be fine). A lot of manufactures actually recommend switching the motor wires to reverse the motor direction and your warranty will be fine.

Hello Everyone,

I recently bought the Spektrum Kit with the 4000Kv Motor & ESC combo for my 2WD Traxxas Slash. It was a very simple to setup, match the colors etc. Issue I am having is this: I took it for a spin after putting together and I noticed reverse was forward, and forward was reverse. So I followed the programming steps, (hold power+program bla bla) and went through the beeps. This fixed the issue, but then I realized that it was slow as hell, and after further inspection realized reverse was MUCH faster then forward. I tried to do the reset on my The TQ 2.4GHz radio to see if that helped and it did not. So after much research everything I read said "Just switch two of the 3 wires from the motor to the ESC". Well I tried that, and it did fix it. BUT I can't imagine there is not another fix? I can't imagine I would buy a kit that has the motor+ESC combined, wires color matched, and I have to change the wires for it to work correctly?

Any thoughts? Is switching the wires safe/void warranty etc.

Mike
Welcome to RCT bud. With RTR kits from factory. They are not 100% RTR. They are made in mass production. And every little detail can't be inspected Unfortunately. Some time the motor rotation needs to be switched. Whitch will reverse the rotation of the motor to the proper rotation. Any two wires usually the black/red wire get switched. And the white one stays.. here's a link to a article about reasons why your RC is faster in reverse.. hope this helps you understand it a little more bud...

https://goodiesrc.com/is-your-rc-car-faster-in-reverse-this-might-be-why/

I guess my concern is it worked fine stock. Then I put in the new kit and I have issues. So is the kit, which has color coded wires incorrectly manufactured making me have to switch them?

It also depends on which way the motor is mounted, and how many gears are in the transmission. Those will both change the way the wheels will spin. So sometimes it's not something with the motor itself it's just little things with your kit that you have to adjust for. Have fun bashing!

I guess my concern is it worked fine stock. Then I put in the new kit and I have issues. So is the kit, which has color coded wires incorrectly manufactured making me have to switch them?
Its just the way the rotation is. Nothing with manufacturing. Or how many gears you have in trans. Or the way you mounted the motor which usually can only be mounted one way. Never head such a thing. My motor in my grasshopper is black on red also my helicopter is black on red. It's just the way it is. Manufacturers usually say you might have to switch any two wires around if not working properly. Not to be worried about just switch the wires around. And shouldbwork just fine.

Attachments

• 16556436165847033940338913788481.jpg
    16556436165847033940338913788481.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 16556437159092709671985375904146.jpg
    16556437159092709671985375904146.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 42
It also has to do with the motor esc combo. And how the esc reads the motor. Another reason why wires need to be switched

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the amount of gears in the transmission would affect which way the wheels spin? Let's say that you had a two geared transmission (pinion and spur) the last gear will be spinning in the opposite way as the motor, but if you had a three gears the final gear would be spinning in the same direction as the motor. So if you have an even amount of gears the wheels will spin reverse of the motor and if you have an odd amount of gears the wheels will go the same direction.

Back