Traxxas Pro .15 not starting

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcdad6

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a Nitro Rustler and it has been a few years since I have started the truck. I cleaned the truck, I installed a new fuel tank (without priming bulb), new fuel lines, new glow plug 9 which turns orange when the ignitor is connected to it), new EZ start wiring, new carb, new air filter. The problem is The fuel will not get to the carb while trying to start. I have plugged the air filter and the exhaust with my finger, still no fuel to the carb. I have even tried to blow through the fuel line a to get fuel into the carb, when I do that, it tries to start, but refuses to start. Once I stop blowing through the fuel line, the fuel stops flowing to the carb. I have even disconnected the blue wire to the glow plug and I am using a glow plug ignitor (it works and is charged). It feels like the engine has compression. I am at my wits end, and about to replace the engine, but still not sure that is the problem.

My guess is the fuel line or fuel tank. I've heard on traxxas trucks of new parts not working, but this was years ago. I usually blow in the exhaust line into tank to prime.

Since you mentioned new carb, I'm assuming its not gummed up.

After you try starting, pull the plug and see if its wet or dry.

My guess is the fuel line or fuel tank. I've heard on traxxas trucks of new parts not working, but this was years ago. I usually blow in the exhaust line into tank to prime.

Chubaka
The carb is brand new, maybe a week old. After trying start it, I have taken the head off and it does not seem wet. The fuel just pours out the exhaust.

Is the carb and exhaust line backwards?
The nipple on top of the tank should go to the pipe. The lower back nipple should go to the carb.

Chubaka
The carb is brand new straight from traxxas. After trying to start, the fuel just pours out the exhaust and the Piston seems dry.

Is the carb at factory settings? How old is the fuel?

Next thing I would do is replace all the fuel line with new and unmount the fuel tank and make sure both the inlet and outlet are not clogged. the only reason no fuel would get to the carb when you're blowing through it would be a clog or fuel lines not routed correctly. Or at least only thing I can think of.

Not to sound like a ass but you sure the inlet high needle is open 4-4.5 turns out from closed. Sometimes new carbs are not open or set.since the carb could go on other motors. It might not be open enough to allow fuel in.Check to see if the throttle arm is not closing the the valve Sometimes they need readjustment or they can get hung up. After sitting awhile.

If your getting fuel threw the lines when not connected to the carb then it's definitely the carb. And sounds like it's closed or even the idle screw is keeping the sleve from opening properly to allow fuel in

The outlet on top of tank is your vent which would go to fitting on top of exhaust. Bottom one is supply line. You can put something against the low speed needle arm and motor casing and hold open the carb all the way. Then try to start it you should definitely be getting fuel at that point if not. The carb sleeve is completely closed bud. And the motor turns freely correct sometimes the lifting rod and piston and crank get gumed up or even seize up after sitting awhile if not cleaned out before sitting.

Next thing I would do is replace all the fuel line with new and unmount the fuel tank and make sure both the inlet and outlet are not clogged. the only reason no fuel would get to the carb when you're blowing through it would be a clog or fuel lines not routed correctly. Or at least only thing I can think of.
Greywolf74, The carb gets fuel only if I blow in the exhaust fuel line, there is no clogs. I have brand new tank and lines.

If thats correct, imo, pin hole leak on fuel line, lower needle closed, fuel tank lid or seal, or old nitro fuel which wont explain dry internals.

I'm not sure if an air leak on the motor would effect draw much, I'm assumimg not.

Seems like you got a gremlin, I would seperate this car so it doesn't infect others.😂

If you blow in line the fuel gets to carb correct. But then when u hook up fuel line no fuel is drawn from tank to carb. Sounds either carb sleeve is closed or the carb slide witch is attached to motor servo is is not opening or closed and not allow the fuel to flow properly. Like chubaka said might be bad seal somewhere tank lid, or motor head, or might even have hair line crack in crank case. Which isn't allowing fuel draw from the tank. How long did it sit for. Until u decided to get it running again

If you blow in line the fuel gets to carb correct. But then when u hook up fuel line no fuel is drawn from tank to carb. Sounds either carb sleeve is closed or the carb slide witch is attached to motor servo is is not opening or closed and not allow the fuel to flow properly. Like chubaka said might be bad seal somewhere tank lid, or motor head, or might even have hair line crack in crank case. Which isn't allowing fuel draw from the tank. How long did it sit for. Until u decided to get it running again
I think this guy is on to something. :thumbs-up:

I think this guy is on to something. :thumbs-up:
Sounds good hope he gets it running. Nothing like haven a nitro truck or car and know it started. But it sat for a while. Then it doesn't start. That is so frustrating 😤. I've been there it's the worst

Fuel is NOT drawn to carb by the motor. Pressure from the exhaust forces fuel to the carb and it will not matter if the carb is open or closed. Carb being closed off will prevent starting however because the fuel flow will stop at the inlet and not pass through the carb.

@rcdad6 Since it has at for some time, it would be a good idea to remove the exhaust and verify no little bug or something has plugged it up. Then verify fuel flow. Remove the fuel line from the carb inlet and the from the exhaust nipple. Blow through the hose from the exhaust end and verify flow of fuel comes out of the carb end. If that is good then hook up the exhaust end and verify again that fuel is flowing to the carb, you may need to plug the end of the exhaust to create enough pressure. If yes hook up the hose to the carb. Then verify your carb settings, start with factory break-in settings = air inlet has a 1 -1.5mm gap, the low speed needle should be flush and the high speed needle should be 2.5 turns out from closed. Once all that is good, if your glow plug is good and compression is good it should start and run.

Fuel is NOT drawn to carb by the motor. Pressure from the exhaust forces fuel to the carb and it will not matter if the carb is open or closed. Carb being closed off will prevent starting however because the fuel flow will stop at the inlet and not pass through the carb.

@rcdad6 Since it has at for some time, it would be a good idea to remove the exhaust and verify no little bug or something has plugged it up. Then verify fuel flow. Remove the fuel line from the carb inlet and the from the exhaust nipple. Blow through the hose from the exhaust end and verify flow of fuel comes out of the carb end. If that is good then hook up the exhaust end and verify again that fuel is flowing to the carb, you may need to plug the end of the exhaust to create enough pressure. If yes hook up the hose to the carb. Then verify your carb settings, start with factory break-in settings = air inlet has a 1 -1.5mm gap, the low speed needle should be flush and the high speed needle should be 2.5 turns out from closed. Once all that is good, if your glow plug is good and compression is good it should start and run.
My bad your rite .15 is a smaller motor then 2.5 2.5R / 3.3 those stat at 4 turns out.