Traxxas pinion gear broke

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caleb90

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So i just put a traxxas 6484x 11t pinion on my kronos xtr. Lasted a 4s pack and half a 6s pack. Traxxas gears that bad? The brown is flash rust from me washing the truck down. Was covered in mudd

IMG_20230115_180626775.jpg

Never used a traxxas pinion before but it wouldnt surprise me if theyre that bad. I think the vast majority of my pinions are either robinsons racing or Saga.

Robinson racing hardened gears is what you should be looking at, or something similar.

I seem to go there for all my trucks.

I'll admit, I use Traxxas pinions. I use Arrma pinions as well. I just get them dirt cheap from eBay when testing/changing things up with different motors and whatnot. I never had a problem with them. Once I find the right gearing, and the Traxxas/Arrma pinions wear out, I'll order my usual Robinson, or Tekno pinion gears.

I bet you got one of the bad batches of steel that was used in the making our toy car parts. It happens.

Perhaps your pinion grub/set screw loosened up a tad bit, and lost full engagement of the teeth?

Tekno or Robinson 🤡

Is that aluminum or pot steel? Either way, no good for a steel spur. You need a machined steel pinion.

Is that aluminum or pot steel? Either way, no good for a steel spur. You need a machined steel pinion.
Its there steel pinion. Used on the e revo

Caleb, your application running steel-on-steel pinion/spur interface or steel-to-nylon/compo spur?

Pinion/spur lash issue? Pinion grub screw issue? Motor mounting issue? Spur gear a stand-alone install or part of a diff case/cover?

Looking at the picture it appears one gear tooth catastrophically failed followed by less than total failure of gear teeth as the pinion moved out on the motor shaft until kicking free of the spur. Lots going on there.

Regarding gear lash: As standard practice I'll check lash at multiple points to ensure there is no bind for whatever reason. Lots of variables in what seems a straight forward interface of gear teeth.

RRP (Robinson Racing Products) has been my pinion go-to for years. They be my recommendation. Even with RRP, check and double check the install. Good luck. Cheers. 'AC'

Caleb, your application running steel-on-steel pinion/spur interface or steel-to-nylon/compo spur?

Pinion/spur lash issue? Pinion grub screw issue? Motor mounting issue? Spur gear a stand-alone install or part of a diff case/cover?

Looking at the picture it appears one gear tooth catastrophically failed followed by less than total failure of gear teeth as the pinion moved out on the motor shaft until kicking free of the spur. Lots going on there.

Regarding gear lash: As standard practice I'll check lash at multiple points to ensure there is no bind for whatever reason. Lots of variables in what seems a straight forward interface of gear teeth.

RRP (Robinson Racing Products) has been my pinion go-to for years. They be my recommendation. Even with RRP, check and double check the install. Good luck. Cheers. 'AC'
The shiney ground looking portion of that pinion used to have teeth AC. This is the worst pinion failure I have ever seen. I would have to wonder if the mesh was set correctly, or if the motor mount gave way, and/or there isn't some kinda binding issue in the driveline.

The shiney ground looking portion of that pinion used to have teeth AC. This is the worst pinion failure I have ever seen. I would have to wonder if the mesh was set correctly, or if the motor mount gave way, and/or there isn't some kinda binding issue in the driveline.
Motor mesh was set right, might have had one little tight spot. Zero drive line binding. There is zero damage to the spur gear

Wow. :eek:

That was some kind of humongous failure. Spur milled all the teeth off that pinion! Down lower part of the picture see some chipping on a spur tooth as well. Almost like that pinion missed its turn in the heat treat oven.

Unusual shade to the pinion material as well. Doesn't look like steel. Unless that's just the lighting of the photo. Curious failure. 'AC'

Motor mesh was set right, might have had one little tight spot. Zero drive line binding. There is zero damage to the spur gear
Ok, then my conclusion is the Traxxas pinions are made of cheese. Cheese pinions are crap.

Even with the pinion still touching ever so slightly, the drive line spins freely. Silicone spray is for trying to drive the water out. Thinking an rc tubby wasn't the best if ideas.

Tride posting a video and i couldnt
Even with the pinion still touching ever so slightly, the drive line spins freely. Silicone spray is for trying to drive the water out. Thinking an rc tubby wasn't the best if ideas.

Tride posting a video and i couldnt

Last edited:
Back