Traxxas Nitro 4-Tec gear damage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisInVT

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I wrecked this poor guy at full speed and messed up the gears. I'm missing the smaller sprocket, and the two larger sprockets that are attached to the metal flywheel are bent, actually the flywheel and the two gears wobble, which is what I believe caused the small gear to take a hike. Shaft isn't bent because the mangled drive gear for the front belt doesn't wobble.

What P/Ns am I looking for to replace all this broken stuff here? I've looked at some gear assemblies that are supposed to be replacements, but they don't look all that similar.

IMG_46521280x768.jpg

IMG_46551280x768.jpg

Doesn't seem to show the gear that's missing in any of the exploded diagrams

Looks like the clutch bell is actually broke. I'm not familiar with the 4 tec's though. Maybe somebody with experience with this ride will chime in.

Looks like the clutch bell is actually broke. I'm not familiar with the 4 tec's though. Maybe somebody with experience with this ride will chime in.

looks like that ...i would get a new clutch bell just to be safe

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-TRAXXAS-NITR...0433274502?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories

or maybe you just need that part ...not sure if its the right one ..it says first gear

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Traxxas-Nitro-4-...0191925238?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories

Last edited:

The clutch bell is fine, just 1st gear decided to take a hike. Oddly enough, it makes absolutely no difference and the car works fine without it.

or maybe you just need that part ...not sure if its the right one ..it says first gear

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Traxxas-Nitro-4-...0191925238?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories

That's the optional gear, I have the standard ratio so I'd need the stock one (P/N 4815 ebay) I'm just unsure what else (if anything) is required.

Looks like you only have rear wheel drive at the moment.
Do you have the belt that connects from the gear cluster pully to the front pully?
Also (may just be the picture) but the pully that you have pictured looks like it has some funky teeth.

Looks like you only have rear wheel drive at the moment.
Do you have the belt that connects from the gear cluster pully to the front pully?
Also (may just be the picture) but the pully that you have pictured looks like it has some funky teeth.

Correct, I removed the belt to take the pictures. I have ordered the belt drive gears, but I'm not replacing them until I get the gear on the clutch bell replaced and the driven gears to stop wobbling. When I have all the parts I'm going to tear it down and fix everything at once.

Alright; so far I've replaced the 1st gear, drive pulleys and I'm waiting on a drive hub (this was broken which caused the catastrophic failure of the transmission). I need to get myself some good tires since all mine are shot and I'll be golden.

Alright, I forgot why I hated nitro cars and only purchased electric. Well after replacing all that crap I drove it around a little bit and it worked better than it ever did before (I'm assuming the drive hub was busted when I got it). Well, I drove up and down the street two times, not even at top speed - the engine wasn't even warm yet... Then suddenly the motor revved up REALLY high and it stopped moving. Sure enough I went over to it and THE GOD DAMN 1st GEAR SPROCKET WAS FREAKING GONE and it raped my drive pulley on it's way out.

This REALLY pisses me off considering I got about 2 minutes worth of use out of it, and now I need $10 MORE worth of parts.

I think I may just throw this thing and all it's parts and accessories in my fire pit and happily watch it burn.

How did it come apart? I know a guy that has a 4tec and it's a little tank. Sounds like an assembly mistake was made somewhere. Re-trace your steps and figure out where you went wrong.

Not sure, It was driving and it just stopped moving and the gear was gone. It simply screws onto the clutch bell, and I made sure it was as tight on there as I could get it. There's nothing that really holds it on there for whatever reason...

So it's metal on metal threads? Did you use locktite and let it setup? Is there a place for a screw to go into the crank, to hold the clutch gears on? I'm not real familiar with the 4tec.

No, the gears are plastic, the bell housing is metal. I didn't use locktite because there was no traces of anything on the clutch bell, and nothing was specified on anything I could find about the 4Tec. There's nothing that holds the gears onto the bell housing, which is what I was worried about to begin with - just the tension of them being there I guess (which doesn't seem to work all that well).

Back