Traxxas motor issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nsanti

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
I’m having an issue with the motor in my Traxxas 1/16 slash 4x4. It struggles to spin either direction and the esc light flashes red as seen in the video I made. Is there a way to test to see if it is the motor or the esc, or a different issue altogether?

I’m having an issue with the motor in my Traxxas 1/16 slash 4x4. It struggles to spin either direction and the esc light flashes red as seen in the video I made. Is there a way to test to see if it is the motor or the esc, or a different issue altogether?

The one vid that I showed ,they had disconnected the motor when they re programmed the gear ,probably so the truck
dont take off while they do the throttle ,the motor might need to be cleaned ,have you tried cleaning it with a motor spray?

No I haven’t tried cleaning it, I’ll have to research a video on how to do it. I'm starting to wonder if the problem is the esc, or the motor

No I haven’t tried cleaning it, I’ll have to research a video on how to do it. I'm starting to wonder if the problem is the esc, or the motor

Yea ,it is possible ,I think that if it doesn't or wont program right ,even with the motor disconnected ,then it maybe the issue ,

If you had a good servo ,you can probably test both channels of the receiver to see if it is binding an if the ESC is bad!
I am still green on these types of systems ,but not on the old brushed style motors as I use to mess with them years ago ,
unfortunatlly ,that is a stock can motor an is not rebuilable ,an they are a dime a dozen ,I use to test those motors by
hooking them direct to a battery after cleaning them ,but those motors wear out an you have to toss it if it is!

They collect dirt in them ,an there is metal particals in dirt ,so it may just needs to be cleaned with electrical motor
spray solvent!

There were a lot of metal particles on the motor stuck on the outside by the magnet. I have contact cleaner if that would work, or rubbing alcohol. I guess when I get home I’ll try to clean it, and hook it up with some alligator clips to the battery to test it.

please let me know what you think before I try anything, since I don’t want to damage anything more than it already is. I really just wat to rule out the esc and receiver and confirm it is the motor.

you can use a sticky tape to get metal off outside of can...do you have another brushed motor to check if its the esc... a servo tester can also tell you if esc is the issue..(looks like esc is bad to me.)

There were a lot of metal particles on the motor stuck on the outside by the magnet. I have contact cleaner if that would work, or rubbing alcohol. I guess when I get home I’ll try to clean it, and hook it up with some alligator clips to the battery to test it.

please let me know what you think before I try anything, since I don’t want to damage anything more than it already is. I really just wat to rule out the esc and receiver and confirm it is the motor.

The contact cleaner should work ,but after you spray it ,let it dry out before hooking juice to it ,the cleaner maybe flamable!

The armatures do glaze up ,but really can't take stock cans apart to clean the glaze off the contacts ,rebuildable motors ,can
be taken apart an the contacts cleaned & brushes replaced!

But ,now ,even those are out dated ,an may as well convert it to brushless system ,a set up is reasonable price ,back in
the day ,a good modified brush motor cost from $39 to $69 bucks ,an a good Novak super rooster was $ 135!....LOL

I’m going to disconnect the motor and hook it straight to the battery with alligator clips without cleaning it. If it doesn’t spin still than most likely the motor is bad.

I would definitely clean it first. You don't want to do more damage if there is any metal or other material in there.

I just stuck the ends of the motor in the battery and it spun very little. I’ve just ordered a new motor since the old one is probable worn out.