Traxxas 550 motor clunking and clicking

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powerwagon79

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
So my 4 month old Bandit XL-5 has a strange motor issue. I was having fun bashing it, and I jumped it into a ditch. No big deal. When I reversed, it grinded and didn't even spin the wheels. I pulled it out and tried to get it to go again. I gave it a hard push, and it made approximately 4,786,454,275 sounds at once, then ran alright (he battery was dying already). I tried to reverse once again, nothing. A click, a jerk, then nothing. I grabbed the cracked spoiler and hiked back to the house. I turned it off, spun both wheels, and the motor would spin, then get stiff, and if I pushed harder, it would click, then spin again. I pulled off the trans cover, and found nothing. I figured I could take the motor out and see if the wheels would work then. They did. So it's the motor, in short, that clicks, and won't go backwards. I also notice the rod that goes through the motor, that the pinion goes on, was wiggling, like a bearing had gone out or was missing. I tested it by running it separately, not on the trans. with a fresh battery. The same thing. Clicking going forwards, no reverse, then no forward either, just acting like it was trying, and it was, as a wisp of steam (or smoke?) came out. All the while making the little whine that means it's trying to turn. Any ideas as to what is going on with it?

Probably a bearing failure, or a magnet inside has come unglued. Does it come apart? Not sure which motor you have, but some can be serviced. Maybe it just picked up a rock in it.

Probably a bearing failure, or a magnet inside has come unglued. Does it come apart? Not sure which motor you have, but some can be serviced. Maybe it just picked up a rock in it.
It's a 550 12-turn

more than likely one of the magnets cracked apart .only thing to do is dont use it replace it.
more than likely its a 540 power twist so its got a soldered on end bell can't rebuild can't replace brushes got no options .

looks like comp is stuck time 4 new motor they arent that much lets see more smoke STOP hitting trigger replace motor b4 esc is smoked

I turned the rod til it clicked, it ran but...

looks like comp is stuck time 4 new motor they arent that much lets see more smoke STOP hitting trigger replace motor b4 esc is smoked
That's what happened to my friend's vxl rustler 4x4. He enjoyed doing 'burnouts' til the motor burnt up😭

Well, I suppose I'm in the market for a new motor. I don't want a brushless, any upgrades for a 550 or a better brushed motor?

Back