Traxxas 4-Tech 2 speed Tranny

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC/Racer

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi All : I was out running my 4-tech on a wide open Paved parking lot @ my Local Park... after about 10-15min into running... My 4-Tech would not move Engine running normal engine sound's @ 1st I thought I threw a drive belt...
upon shutdown & popped off body upon closer inspection the gear was totally missing " It's the one father away from the engine's shaft " .... the gear that's closest to the engine's shaft is still there & looks to be fine & is meshing good.... How ever I don't know if the gear I am missing is 1st gear or 2nd gear.... I am going to assume it's 1st gear since the car will not move under it's own power when engine is running.... My Friend said the 4-Tech has different tooth gear options available for my 4-Tech I believe my 4-tech came stock with an 18 tooth " id have to count teeth " my friend said he think's a 16 tooth is avail to install on my 4-tech... Is he right on his thought..... I am wondering WHY this gear would come off like it did this is the 1st time this happened to me since I have the car from Brand New......

Last edited:
The outer clutchbell gear (smaller gear) is 1st gear) it screws to the bell. Lock-tite should be used to keep the gear from loosening up.

There are different gear options but with a 2 speed when you change the gears/ratios both the spur gear and the cluth bell gear have to be changed as a matched set or you can not set the mesh correctly. Bigger bell gear will require a smaller spur gear and vise versa.

Thanks for the advise Snookman.. I picked up the 1st gear.... Gear @ my LHS I got the stock one not wanting to change everything around....

Update: Got My 4-Tech running installed the 1st Gear used a little locktite run's good....
I had my LSH put a set of 1st & 2nd Gear's on order for me so I have on hand if that should happened again... Thanks for the help Snookman......

Back