traxxas 3.3 nitro engine upgrades?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1970stage1

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
I'm at the point of trying out a new nitro
never messed with the traxxes

i know a tuned pipe can add low end grunt
what about a header? do they make heads as well?

Tuned pipe and headers are huge improvements for that engine.

Cooling head change isn't going to get you anything other than looks generally.

Might consider updgrading the carb to an OS. Big tuning improvement to be had there.

what header and exhaust do you reccomend as well as which OS carb

OS 11k for the carb.

For the header/pipe, try to find a THS combo. Probably eBay the best bet.

is the traxxas tuned pipe any good? does the tuned header do any?
i know that most two strokes need expansion chambers as back pressure
can you mix ths tuned header with a traxxas tuned pipe?
and I'm looking for good low end torque

What are you using it in? Each pipe combination will have a different location for the outlet, pressure nipple, mounting location.

FWIW: The OS 11K carb has the ball end on the throttle slide lever. The OS11KR has a smooth throttle lever which is meant for the Revo

A ceramic rear bearing can offer you some improved performance & increased durability. I vouch for the 11kcarb, too.

RCrenew offers porting & crank re-milling if you really want to get crazy with it, but by that point you might as well get an OS .21TM

Last edited:
OS 11k carb on a 3.3 here as well. It dramatically improved. I can’t recommend this enough. On certain cars the Traxxas carb does fine. On others it sucks. I think it has a lot to do with care and maintenance. However, at its best it cannot compete with a 3.3 motor and 11k carb combo. Night and day difference. Plus, it holds tune. No more chasing it.

I’m run a Traxxas header and pipe on it. It run very well until the motor just plumb wore out.

If you're running a Revo or Slayer the spring mounted header (part#5340X) is a great upgrade over the stock screw mounted one. I haven't broken a header since.

Here is a local friend of mines carb change vid if you want to see it ,it shows
a before & after change & run ,it is like night & day ,OS carb makes the 3.3 engine
sound & perform much healthier!..:cool:

An OS 21 would definitely improve low end performance. My experience is novel at this point. But, so far it’s worth every penny I paid for it. If it continues like this, it’s going to be a great motor.

But, I don’t know if it’s worth it on performance measures. I’m pretty certain the 3.3 with an os11k carb will be faster on top end. At least mine has been. And, that was on a worn engine. And, the 3.3 with an os carb is its own beast. It’s a strong engine for traxxas monster trucks. It’s a fast ride man.