Traxxas 1/16 Ken Block Gymkhana Fiesta LiPo ???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleetz

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi Guys,

Back again after you help me out with a Traxxas Slash selection for my Nephew. He is have a blast with it. Already broke a few bits but easily got and fixed, it is a well supported brand.

Anyway since this have been bought my Brother has gone off and bought a Traxxas 1/16 Ken Block Gymkhana Fiesta!! He has been bitten by the bug too.

Anyway it is on order and he has asked me about LiPo's for it so I statred looking into it. Read the manual and it says' it is NOT compatible with LiPo's as there is no low voltage detector as standard in the car. Can anyone point out what would be suitable to suit the car and where we might be able to get one from???

Assuming this is no issue and easily obtianed and fitted what LiPo's will run in the car? We are thinking that a dual battery configuration makes sense to extend the run time. What LiPo's will fit in the car? Can you run 11.1V 3S batteries in parallel.

Appreciate any assistance you can give me here.

Thanks and regards,

Fleetz

The Ken Block uses the Velineon setup and it does have a LVC for 2S or 3S LiPo use. You just need to make sure it is programmed for LiPo use and set the LVC. The manual will tell you how to to it and there are also You Tube vids.

You can wire to 3S packs in parallel for more runtime.

This is straight from the Traxxas site.

http://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/7309kenblock

"Velineon Brushless Speed and Power

The Ken Block Gymkhana Fiesta's VXL-3m speed control and Velineon® 380 motor represent the latest in brushless technology and shred the competition with class-leading speed and power. Right out of the box, the Fiesta thrills with 30+mph on the included 6-cell NiMH battery. Install an optional, second 6-cell battery to unleash the Velineon Brushless Power System's full fury, and speeds jump to over 50mph with affordable, proven-safe NiMH packs. It's never been so easy to go so fast! Fully LiPo compatible with low-voltage detection for 2S and 3S packs and rated for 6-12 NiMH cells, the potent, powerful Velineon power system gives you precise throttle control and blistering top speed. Patent-pending Training Mode™ lets new drivers hone their skills at 50% throttle. This allows young or new drivers to safely develop their control skills before unleashing 50+mph speed with the touch of the EZ-Set® button. Big speed requires big horsepower, so the Gymkhana Fiesta carries the largest motor in its size category. The Velineon 380 features high-speed ball bearings, Sintered rotor, Neodymium magnets, and Gold plated 3.5mm connectors. It all adds up to 50,000 rpm of pure power and track-searing speed!"

Thanks Rob,

Great news......

Any reccomendations on what 2S and 3S LiPo batteries will fit?

Ideally now I am back in Australia finding LiPo's that not only fit but have Traxxas battery connectors would be great. My Brother is crap with a soldering iron :whhooo:

There is also a Y-Adaptor cable that is required if two Lipo's are installed.

What would you recommend 7.4V 2S or 11.1V 3S LiPo's

Thanks and regards,

Fleetz

Maxamps will give you an idea on what packs will fit. Just view the packs and it will show dimensions. You can then go to AMainHobbies.com for ProTek and also shop around for Thunder Power packs.

The 1:16 ERevo, Slash and Fiesta's share the same chassis.

http://www.maxamps.com/products.php?cat=221

I personally would stick with 2S due to the type of rig and it's size. On 3S it would be like trying to control something on ice due to how hard the tires are.

I have a Ken Block and trust me, you don't need 3S to break the wheels loose.

Thanks very much you have ranged me in and I am about to place an order.:)

Regards,

Fleetz

Yeah, and I had an e-revo and for me 3s is the best way to go, Id keep it that way for the kb drifter too

3s is a bit much for someone starting out. I also a have a 1/16 eRevo VXL and have my hands full with it on 3s even after several years of driving higher performance rigs.

True, I'm talking from experince my bad. I guess once I go use to 3s in the mini revo vxl I would never go back to any thing but 3s. Even with the ken block I would run 3s but like hamz said it may be to much for a bigginer.

3S is simply not needed for the KB in stock form no matter what level of driver you are.

Now if you swap out the tires and make it a rally car, then yeah, 3S would be a perfect.

Id still do 3s because their the only lipo's i keep from the mini revo, they work and they would work with the kb perfect for me. Yes its not needed! But liked by me.

Please keep hamz post in mind. This thread isn't about you and to recommend 3S for an RC that you have no experience with can be misleading to someone starting out. As mentioned I own a KB and before you say it, I have also owned a Merv.

Just picked one up for my little brother's birthday, like rob and hamz say you dont need 3s for starting out. I did run the kb last night on 3s and their right its not needed. But sure was fun lol!

Got it off craigslist from a guy for 185bucks, thing looks brand new.

Back