Traxxas 1/10 Nitro Slash 2WD VS. Traxxas 1/10 Nitro Slayer Pro 4X4

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zell66

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
was wondering besides the $100 difference and 1 being 4x4 and the other 4x2, what are the pro's and con's of these trucks?

Completely different chassis setups. The Slayer pro uses the Revo Platform whereas the Slash uses the standard platform. I have never driven a nitro Slash but I do personally own a Slayer Pro and I do have to say that it is a handful and your setup of the vehicle is key as well as throttle control and tire selection. I would imagine that it would be more critical on a 2wd Slash. I would imagine that it would be like driving a Jato 3.3 in the dirt which is very difficult. If you decided to drive either in the dirt, make sure the dirt is moist so you can have a lot more control, driving these trucks on loose dirt in no fun!

in turn what would be a starter truck for a beginner?

guess i should ask, my son thinking of 4x2 (he is 12) and i was thinking of 4x4 for myself (47) we both are beginners.

What are thoughts about this idea??

The 2-wheel drive versions are actually harder to drive than a 4-wheel drive versions.

lol really. We are just driving for fun no racing in our neck of the woods.

As far as maintenance witch one is more user friendly?

Well the 2wd has halve of the driveline so in a sense there is less to break but on the other hand there is more power to the rear,imo if u want a 2wd get a couple rustlers, the slash can be a handfull, slayer is more useable imo given that it is a 4wd, also with a 4wd there are more terrain options for you guys

agree with the rustler ,anything 2wd with a 3.3 is a handful in any conditions .the rustler is a very durable little truck which is key for a beginner young or old.
if you are set on a short course and can afford them then go for a slayer ,they will handle better than the slash which is based on the same chassis as the rustler and the slayer based on a revo which gives you loads more tuning and accessory choices.
I built my slayer pro from the ground up and its a great rig and handles like it on rails I also opted for a novarossi 2.5 instead of the 3.3 which screams and other than the slayer sway bars and the variable damper kit is quite stock and easily jumps my revo off the line too.

Being beginners, I would recommend 4wd for both of you, its going to be a lot easier to learn how to drive them. Also one rig you might want to consider that is cheaper and probably better built than the Traxxas is the Losi Ten-SCT. The Losi also has a remote start on the radio making it super easy and a 3.4 engine, just slightly bigger than the Traxxas. I have never driven one and own a Slayer myself (Love it) but you really might want to consider the Losi, it seems to have better features than the Traxxas and $100 cheaper and is 4wd.

As far as maintenance witch one is more user friendly?

The Slash will be easier to work on. If you're looking for something extremely easy to start your son off with, I recommend the Nitro Rustler. It's the same layout as the Nitro Slash but just a little shorter and running the 2.5. Like the others have already stated, the 3.3 in a 2wd rig is a handful. I've got a Jato as well as a Rusty powered by the 3.3, even with higher gearing and heavy Trenchers I play hell keeping the front end down. The gearing helps keep the front down on take off but once it gets going, the nose starts pointing to the clouds. I've also found the 2.5 to be a little more forgiving when it comes to tuning, that's a good thing for someone new to nitro.

Back