Transmitter whip...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00nst0ne69

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hello folks,

Do any of you know where to find a Tx whip for any RC's? My son can't seem to be able to keep one on for more then a week or so. I have an idea on making one but I don't want to put the effort in with out trying to find one.

I do mean something flexible instead of telescoping. He just isn't gentle enough yet. It is the stock radio that comes with the RC18MT.

Maybe whip is the wrong term. How about a flexible antenna?

I'm not sure how well it will work but cut the antenna off close to the base and solder a BNC connector onto it. From there you can use a universal flexible antenna available from RadioHack.

It may be worth the 8-10 clams to give it a try. You will need to check the reception after your done. If it doesn't work, your only out 10.00 and the price of a new antenna.

I've got one that may work for you. I'll check to make sure it fits on one of my radio's. If it fits send a couple bucks and I'll send it to you.

Candyman, I like that antenna. Will a JR Antenna fit other Tx's?

I was under the impression most or all antennas work with the major brands, so I would presume the JR "whip" would work on another brand.

I would think they should be closely compatible. From what I've seen, most antennae are about the same diameter. It's just a matter of if the antenna is the male or female thread in the situation. I have seen a lot of airplane flyers use flexible antennae, but oddly I can't find many on a search. Also, some seem to be tuned to a particular band (27, 53, 72, 75 MHz) so that's a factor also.

OOOOHHHHH! I just found this. It might work. Click the link and scroll down to the Power Stick.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/antennas.htm

Great find! After your prior post I searched for about 20 minutes and still kept coming back with the JR or Deans antennas.

I have a two year old that likes to snap the antenna from the tx like a twig! I've seen the power stick antennas before but like olds said expensive. I'm going to try the radio shack route and see what happens, heck it's worth a try for ten bucks.

Bill

Antenna length and impedance on transmitters is quite critical if you want good range and no glitching. The best solution for a shorter antenna might be to find a suitable base-loaded one but as someone has already pointed out, you will probably need to modify your transmitter to accept an antenna with an N-type mount or similar.

In an ideal world, our Tx and Rx antennas would be 1/4 wavelength, but for 27Mhz 1/4 wavelength is about 2.8m (9') and is not very practical. For 75Mhz 1/4 wavelength is only 1m (3') and is therefore much more practical.

You can probably get away with a shorter whip or non base-loaded antenna if you are happy to accept a reduction in working transmitter range (probably OK for back yard bashing with the kids, but no good for racing).

Ultimately, one of the newer 2.4GHz DSM systems would be ideal, the transmitter antenna is made of rubber and only a few inches long and the receiver antenna is even smaller.