tranny switching early and sticking in 2nd

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halohater9

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
ok just rebuilt my front and rear diff on my revo....started the truck...ran gooood for the first tank, on my second tank transmission was getting hung up in 2nd. When i would come to a stop and then accelerate it would still be in 2nd, i had this problem before i had to fix my diffs.(havent messed with it in a while) i just do not understand A>why its switching prematurely and not coming out of 2nd off the line.: and B> y did it work well for the first tank? (i did make some needle adjustments between the first 2 tanks).

Adjust your shift point to be a little higher. Don't turn the screw more than a 1/8th of a turn at a time.

How many gallons do you have through the trans? It could just be wear on the pawl/shifting mechanism. Or gunk build up from the plastic on the trans gears wearing and jamming things up.

ill give it a shot tomm.....any other suggestions?

gallons? a lil lithium grease....maybe it does need a cleaning? it is being overhauled as of today......i also just thought about switching it to a single geared tranny, and putting forward only conversion w/center diff kit also.....

I like the two speed, but the reverse had to go. Stripped mine out early in it's life and put a FOC in it's place. I never tried the center diff. Probably would have helped my constant wheelie problem when I ran a BB in it... ;)

By gallons, I mean, how many gallons have you run through the rig since you serviced the trans? I ran 10+ gallons through mine and never pulled a diff out... so, it makes me wonder how much fuel you have run through yours to have to replace the diffs. In that time, I did shell the trans gears a few times and noticed quite a bit of plastic build up in the case that I cleaned out. The only time I actually took my diffs out was when I swapped from the 2.5 chassis to the 3.3 chassis, but that was about 5 gallons in and that was only to pull the parts to swap to the new chassis. Then I ran at least another 5 through it with various engines before getting rid of it.

the only reason i messed with the diff was i got it out of the garage, havent run it in a while. noticed that only the front wheels were pulling. so i check the rim hexs, they were no rocks in the rims or nuttin like that...sooo i figure that the diff was the problem...the plastic housing in the diff was cracked....and they were bone dry....both of em....the front diff had no interior damage just was dry..... And I've probably only run 3 gallons thru it...

If i was you i would rebuild my diffs....breakdown first to see if you need new spidergears and such....

I don't have it anymore. Thinking of picking up another revo though... or maybe a nitro stampede... Just some small block MT of sorts.

that shifting mechanism you spoke about. do they got out somewhat often?

I've had them get jammed up at least once in all the rigs I have that have one, including the revo. The pawl gets worn from the beating it takes and tends to stick in the aluminum piece it swings out of. Lightly grinding the sides of the pawl to take of the burr usually helps. Also, cleaning it really well to get all the debris out of it can't hurt either.

It's usually after quite a few gallons of use before it happens though.