Toughest climb you got.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa crawler

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
I have two climbs at my local rock crawling area. It’s a large spillway from a dam and it has great rock and fossil formation.
The first is called the big crack. And has other names as well.
The bottom has a hole on the right side. There is no escape from that. The left is very steep and as it narrows there is a hole so you tend to turn sideways and fall five feet to the bottom.

Climb two is a deceptive switch back. Just high enough to roll you over.
you approach from the left and climb the wall and allow the front to wedge into the gap. Then ride up the center. But if you want to test your side hill game. This is the place.

Attachments

• 42359A7D-7F40-46FC-A33E-A3A79FFFAFD1.jpeg
    42359A7D-7F40-46FC-A33E-A3A79FFFAFD1.jpeg
    785.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 8A4EE06B-390A-414D-A883-2F0D1710A63A.jpeg
    8A4EE06B-390A-414D-A883-2F0D1710A63A.jpeg
    824.4 KB · Views: 73
Oh man that's sweet!! Nice driven sir 👍👍 that's a good way to test your driven skills. NICE👍👍👍

I'd found this epic "wall", the last time I was at this spot. Picture doesn't do it justice. The steepness and 20ft height has to been seen, in person, to appreciate, and I just can't capture it via a cell camera.
On this only attempt, I was able to make it only 1/2 half way up with my unmodified class 1 rig(just porter cover weights). I'm confident with some tweaking of the SCX10iii, and patience, I'll be able to conquer this beast!
I'm planning to head back to this spot later on this week.
0724210849a_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a awesome wall spot. I'm sure you will get it done. Thats a cool pic. You should get some small posters made of your adventures. Some very cool pics bud 👍👍😍😍
The jeep looks so small in comparison to the wall. 😉🤣🤣

Thats a awesome wall spot. I'm sure you will get it done. Thats a cool pic. You should get some small posters made of your adventures. Some very cool pics bud 👍👍😍😍
The jeep looks so small in comparison to the wall. 😉🤣🤣
Haha I doubt if the quality of the cell phone camera picture will come out very good if blown up to poster size.

As I said, my pics can't capture the awesomeness of that wall. That picture was taken half way up, right after the truck lost it's footing. It was also pretty precarious because I was scaling the wall along with the truck. Had to make even more certain that I didn't lose my footing either.

Playing humpty dumpty would suck! Looks like a good challenge. Is that the spot you dropped your phone?
No, the phone dropped at a different spot before I found this wall.

I thought it looked like a different spot, but I thought it might have just been a different camera angle.

I thought it looked like a different spot, but I thought it might have just been a different camera angle.
No, this was at the same area(Middlesex Fells Reservation), but the wall is at a different rock outcrop. So, far I've found about 8 of these large outcrops, I'm betting there are dozens in this huge reserve.

That looks like a fantastic place to crawl! I haven't done a lot of technical crawling, but there is a park that I have gone to a few times, and it's a pretty cool place (concrete and rock mound/cliff type). It's actually the same place RC Review goes to if any of you guys watch his YouTube channel, so there are usually other people crawling there as well. Here's a video I took there (rock crawling doesn't really begin until the 2:20 mark of the video):

Also, if any of you guys have the chance to go to Lake Tahoe, there is a big rock next to Vikingsholm Hiking Trail at Emerald Bay, which also has a great view of the lake and mountains in addition to being a great crawling spot. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to drive my crawlers on there since the last time I went there, I forgot my remote for all three crawlers 🤣
Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 8.38.27 AM.png

Oh man that's horrible bud!!! That's a cool spot though. Awesome veiw.
How you like your TRX-4. Any thing you upgraded out the box??

.Unfortunately, I wasn't able to drive my crawlers on there since the last time I went there, I forgot my remote for all three crawlers 🤣
One day, a couple of weeks ago, I got to the trail and realized I had forgotten my transmitter. Drove home to get it, got back to the trail, and realized I forgot the body clips 😤.
Luckily, the trail is only a few miles from home, but still.....it sucked!

Oh man that's horrible bud!!! That's a cool spot though. Awesome veiw.
How you like your TRX-4. Any thing you upgraded out the box??
I really like the TRX-4. The layout of the truck is very well thought out, as the transmission is mounted low, and the motor also adds front weight, and the truck is pretty well balanced. I've never had any issues with the drivetrain, and it has been pretty reliable so far. The only parts I would upgrade out of the box would be a metal servo horn, stronger servo and (possibly) an external BEC. Brass weights also help lower the CG, and makes the truck more planted.

One day, a couple of weeks ago, I got to the trail and realized I had forgotten my transmitter. Drove home to get it, got back to the trail, and realized I forgot the body clips 😤.
Luckily, the trail is only a few miles from home, but still.....it sucked!
On my axial, I put spare body ckips in the posts under the body in spare holes. I also have a few paper clips hidden holding scale accessories I can use.

On my stampede, I screwed a dremel cutoff wheel container to the chassis as a spare parts holder.

On my axial, I put spare body clips in the posts under the body in spare holes. I also have a few paper clips hidden holding scale accessories I can use.

On my stampede, I screwed a dremel cutoff wheel container to the chassis as a spare parts holder.
This is brilliant! I've been needing to get some extra body clips, now I know where to keep them. :thumbs-up:

On my axial, I put spare body ckips in the posts under the body in spare holes. I also have a few paper clips hidden holding scale accessories I can use.

That's brilliant!

I actually have a rare earth magnet glued under the hood. It works great.........when I actually place them there....every single time 🙄
I really like the TRX-4. The layout of the truck is very well thought out, as the transmission is mounted low, and the motor also adds front weight, and the truck is pretty well balanced. I've never had any issues with the drivetrain, and it has been pretty reliable so far. The only parts I would upgrade out of the box would be a metal servo horn, stronger servo and (possibly) an external BEC. Brass weights also help lower the CG, and makes the truck more planted.
So far, haven't needed to replace a single stock part.

Last edited:
Back