Toki .15 - strange engine, no sleeve!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tudordewolf

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Being a sucker for cheap and strange nitro engines, I had to buy a Toki .15

There's videos of them running, and they've been discussed on the forum a few times, but I can't find much more than that about them. They seem popular for those janky little DC generator "kits" which I assume only exist to win science fairs.

The first thing I noticed was the unusual construction - the carb is screwed down instead of using a pinch bolt, and the crankcase splits in two at the cylinder, held on with only 3 bolts. Pulling it off revealed stranger differences: it has no piston liner! The cooling head, button, and piston are all a single piece of machined aluminum, unless they somehow nickel- or chrome-plated it on the inside. The piston appears to be brass, as does the connecting rod, but I don't know if that'd even survive, maybe some aluminum alloy. So instead of ABC or ABN, it's BA - brass piston in an unlined (?) aluminum piston.

Probably gets pretty great cooling, though.

IMG_20220925_090111.jpg
IMG_20220925_085441.jpg

IMG_20220925_085426.jpg

Being a sucker for cheap and strange nitro engines, I had to buy a Toki .15

There's videos of them running, and they've been discussed on the forum a few times, but I can't find much more than that about them. They seem popular for those janky little DC generator "kits" which I assume only exist to win science fairs.

The first thing I noticed was the unusual construction - the carb is screwed down instead of using a pinch bolt, and the crankcase splits in two at the cylinder, held on with only 3 bolts. Pulling it off revealed stranger differences: it has no piston liner! The cooling head, button, and piston are all a single piece of machined aluminum, unless they somehow nickel- or chrome-plated it on the inside. The piston appears to be brass, as does the connecting rod, but I don't know if that'd even survive, maybe some aluminum alloy. So instead of ABC or ABN, it's BA - brass piston in an unlined (?) aluminum piston.

Probably gets pretty great cooling, though.

View attachment 153111View attachment 153112
View attachment 153113
Did you already get it running??

Did you already get it running??

I sold it, I realized I had too many project ideas that I'd rather work on first. They're pretty readily available for ~$50, but for that price point you can get a VX-18 that'll be better for most applications.

There's videos of them running on YouTube though, seems like a normal enough nitro engine. 17k RPM redline in the manual and it advertised ~1kg of pull with a 9x4 prop I think.

I learned what vehicle this was used in, the Hasbro Ricochet XRC and Revolution MT, basically toy-grade nitros, kind of a cool idea that flopped.

I am very curious how long they keep compression though, once they lose pinch it seems that's it for the engine.

Back