Tmaxx .15 engine swap help!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tmaxxkid94

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Okay i need some help/advice i have a 9-10 year old tmaxx .15 pro it sat for around 6-7 years so my dad gave it to me and now it has sentimental value. I took it all apart and cleaned every speck of it. Took the engine apart everything and cleaned it all out. Set the carb to factory and it runs nice but definatley not fast and exciting enough for me lol i want to turn this into a bad machine. One big issue is i run it in 80-85 degree weather an it cuts off after like 5 minutes of some full throttle runs. Not sure why if someone could answer that would be great. But anyway i dont care about wheelies an such i just want the easiest/fastest/cheapest (i know those three things dont exsist together in anything lol) engine to just quickly swap right in there and i do like the ezstart so dont really want to lose that. If anyone could give me any advice that would be awesome thanks! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375282885.760145.jpg

The cheapest would be to use the Traxxas Trade Up program and exchange for a newer Traxxas engine. Another possibility is the OS .18.

Thanks for the response man! Now will they give me say a 2.5 or 3.3 or another .15? And the os .18 is that a clean swap and compatable with my ezstart?

I would just get a brand new 2.5R off ebay for $109. No trade needed.

Okay yeah i would rather do that as well, i have another question whats the difference between the 2.5 and 2.5r? And if i was going to up to 2.5 couldnt i just put a 3.3 in it? I have read that the 3.3 will rib the driveshaft and chassis to peices in the old .15 but i mean I'm not going to run it hard as hell would that work?

And you wont have to worry about upgrading driveline due to a more powerful engine. You can use you ez start and everything else bolts right up except you will need a header because the .15 is side exhaust vs. the 2.5R is rear. Although if you go with the .18 OS your existing exhaust will work. Not sure about ez start but i believe it will work as well.

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

The 2.5R has a little more power. The 3.3 is the same block crank and rod with bigger sleeve/piston. Notorious for breaking the rod when ran too lean. If your good with tuning go with the 3.3 but plan to upgrade axles driveshafts and suspension arms and hub carriers to 3.3 eventually.

Okay awesome, and the os.18. Will that make a really noticable difference? Like will i be satisfied or will i want to upgrade to a bigger one eventually?

Oh yeah! The os .18 is a sweet little drop in mill. Much more power than the .15 and the 2.5 imo.

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

Hell it may even out perform the 3.3 under the right hands.

Ohhh wow that sounds nice lol ill definatley look into it but thanks for all the help i really appreciate it!

I messed up and dropped the picco .26max into mine and spent another $600 on it trying to picco proof everything. Finally did it but i have over $1200 in my tmaxx now and i originally paid $200 for it used with a 3.3 on a 2.5 chassis. So i know for a fact a bigger engine will eat your .15 driveline alive.
8e9uvu8e.jpg

Good luck! Shoot me a pm with any questions you need answers to about what all I've done to mine.

I would drop a sealed 3.3 in her, alot of people frown on the 3.3 but I've never had any issues with them.

I snapped a rod in mine but it was my fault. I was still learning how to tune when it happened. Just never bought another 3.3 after that. I've got friends that have great luck with them and others who can't keep them alive to save there butts.

Ohh wow thats insane see yeah I'm trying to avoid that as much as possible maybe over time but definatley not all at once lol and i definatley will thanks alot! But it does look BA though i like those tires

Thanks. Those paddles love the sand! You should check out Nikko508 tmaxx build also. Its pretty BA as well.

Thats the first thing i thought when i saw them lol and yeah ill have to check it out!

The EZStart from a .15 WILL NOT work on the 2.5 or 3.3. You can still use the ignitor part though (we all recommend getting a separate ignitor), but you'll have to use the pull start or get a new EZStart back plate & OWB.

I’ve owned many TMaxxes over the years and have upgraded several of the old Pro.15’s.
I recommend you just drop in another cheap .15 engine and have fun with it as is.

If/when you feel the need for more power, buy a 3.3 extended chassis roller and mount a decent engine on it. You will be better off in the long run and have much less headaches. Probably save a few $$ also.

Ohh okay i was unaware of that so what if i bought a combo on ebay say 2.5 or 3.3 that had the ez start on it? And thats awesome i love tmaxx. And yeah i thought about that as well i just feel like the .15 lacks power it could be because its 10 years old though i do remember being little and my dad popping wheelies with it so I'm not sure i know it would be easier and probably cheap to just go buy another one but it has alot of sentimental value so i just want to make the best out of what i have.i do plan to make it all alluminum over time but for now I want some thing that will improve the performance the most without breaking driveshafts and satisfy me for until i get all aluminum chassis driveshafts etc over time to support say a 3.3 engine

---------- Post added at 4:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:08 PM ----------

I meant buy another tmaxx^

the os.18 is a great engine for them thats what is in mine and i love it easy to tune and stays in tune good

Okay cool what about the os .21