tmaxx 1.5 transmission problem - reverse, but no forward

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offspring47

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi everyone,

first time poster here. Been out of the rc game for quite a while and decided to dust off the tmaxx. She started good out of the gate. Probably because I would never leave fuel in the engine and would always run some oil after a session. On to the problem.

The car will go in reverse, but not forward. Actually, the car needs some coaxing to go in reverse ie hitting the throttle pretty hard. But no matter how much gas I give it, forward won't work at all.

I took the transmission apart and all the gears look good. And this is a stock tmaxx, I didn't do any upgrades to it.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I will check that tomorrow and let you know what I find. Thanks.

If its still the stock radio then check the third channel setting. It's in the manual on how to adjust it.

just tried shifting gears by hand. No dice. Can't push the shifter in any more so it seems to be seated all the way. I also gave it full throttle for a second or so to see if forward would "catch". It did not. And again, reverse works fine. Well, pretty good. Does need to come up to a decent rpm before the reverse catches.

And again, I took the tranny out and all the gears look good. Any thoughts? Thanks.

there is a couple sintrificul clutches in the tranny if they are worn they might not catch. or something might be loose on one of the shafts and how is the clutch that is on the spur gear or the pegs. that and make sure that the forward gear is on the shaft in the right direction as well.. just a couple ideas to check out.

it's got to be a clutch or worn gear that I am missing. A year ago the car worked but I really had to give it gas for the forward gear to catch.

Can anyone recommend a website that shows the various clutches and parts of the transmission? I searched but couldn't find anything. Thanks.

http://traxxas.com/products/models/nitro/4910tmaxxclassic-downloads

Click on exploded views and then click "Pro 15 exploded transmission view". You can also access the rest of the truck by looking under the different pro 15 exploded views. The best thing to do is print all of them off so you can reference them for assembly and part #'s when needed. Part #'s 4997 and 4998 in the exploded view is your cint. clutch gears which may be what's worn out. Check those and the hub that they grab for wear.

Last edited:
Got it. will do. Thanks.

I might even try to post some pictures.

So yesterday I took the tranny apart. All the gears look good. Nothing is worn. So it's not a worn gear.

Since everything is stock and I never opened up the tranny before, I have to assume all the gears were facing the correct way. I really took my time putting it back together so hopefully I didn't screw anything up there.

One thing I did notice is that the tranny really didn't have any oil or grease in it. Well, it looks like it just had a touch of grease in there. To make matters worse, the grease that was in there is roughly 10-11 years old. I either bought this thing in 1999 or 2000. So the grease is pretty sticky. I am wondering if I cleaned everything real well and then lubed it back up if that would fix it.

Any suggestions as to what I should use to clean the tranny with and what kind of lube/grease I should use and where to put it? Thanks.

i use 3m adhesive remover with an old tooth brush and to lube i use white lithium grease its always worked for me pretty well

Sounds like any remover may work. I have some goo gone and I know I have some lithium greese. Hopefully that's all it needs.

I like to use a product called "door ease" for lubing gears it doesn't get flung off the gears.It is an automotive prduct used for various applications.Check your local auto shop

So should I just lube the gear teeth? What about the bearings and the shafts?

I have the same problem. This is a great help

Took the tranny apart, used goo gone in a spray bottle to clean all the parts and then used a dry teflon lube on everything. Put it back together and she runs like a top now. Forward and reverse work perfectly.

Thanks for the help everyone. Glad I got my old toy back!

Good info. Even with some expert advise, you still learn something new by trial and error...just like the rest of us.
Glad to hear it's working for you.

Took the tranny apart, used goo gone in a spray bottle to clean all the parts and then used a dry teflon lube on everything. Put it back together and she runs like a top now. Forward and reverse work perfectly.

Thanks for the help everyone. Glad I got my old toy back!

What sort of lube ?
Is this the stuff ?
5e0201e1-f7d6-450d.jpg

yep, that's the stuff. But in a spray can. So far so good.

Back