TLR 22-4 Ball vs. Gear Differentials

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamminHyaku

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all,

I believe the losi 22-4 1.0 is ball differentials in the front and rear, and the 2.0 switched over to gear differentials in the front and rear, correct me if I'm wrong. I read online that ball differentials have less play, and are generally better although require more maintenance as they wear faster. However, on Losi's site the 2.0 advertises that the new gear differentials provide better handling on just about every surface. is this true? Is there any benefit for ball diffs to make them worth the extra maintenance?

Also does anyone know, is it possible to convert a 22-4 1.0 from ball diffs to the 2.0 gear diffs? is it an easy switch, or near impossible and very costly?
I'm looking at buying a 22-4 1.0 locally and would probably prefer the low maintenance gear diffs unless the ball diffs offer somewhat significant increase in performance. Also, how difficult are the ball diffs to clean or maintain?

Thank you!!

Ball diff better on dirt/loose surfaces, gear diff better on high traction like turf/carpet.

Ball diff won't wear that fast if you tighten it properly. Most people overtighten them more than necessary which is why a lot of people say they wear faster. The bonus is you won't strip any diff gears with a ball diff and a rebuild kit when they do wear is only $20.

They do sell gear diff kits from TLR but you're looking at $60-70 each diff replacement so it's a pricey upgrade.

My 2wd tlr 4.0 has a ball diff and I still run it on carpet with no issues. It was a used roller run in many races before I even had it, I've run it at numerous practice nights and race days and I still haven't had a "wear" issue yet or need for maint on it.

Ball diffs are super easy to clean/maintain. You take it out, clean the balls, change the pads if need be (only if they have a large groove in them, and you can flip them over and use the other side as well before replacing), put em back in, screw it back together, tighten accordingly and you're good.

Ask yourself, how serious are you racing? If it's just club racing or you're kind of new to it, don't worry about whatever minor advantage a gear diff will give you and worry more about getting around the track consistently without a marshall before you worry about performance upgrades. :)

I had bad luck on my ball diffs when I got started. I even tried the heavy-duty version but they couldn't hold the power of a brushless back then. And yes I followed the directions on tightening and maintenance. They're not worth the trouble IMO.

No issues here but I'm also only running a 17.5 spec motor. But a lot of guys run ball diffs on our dirt track in the 4wd 13.5 spec and open class with like 7.5s in there, also with no issues. My suggestion would be just to use them as is and don't worry about changing them until necessary. When they need maint or bust, then consider changing out for a gear diff.

Back