Tires for both on road and offf road?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randomaker

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi. I'm very new to hobby grade RCs and I have no idea what I am doing. I am thinking of building my own car from scratch. I'm thinking around 1/10 scale because my friend is buying one and I want mine to be somewhat similar to his. What I was wondering, is there some kind of tires I can use both on and off road without getting destroyed instantly? Or do I absolutely need to buy 2 sets of wheels and tires, one for on road and one for off road? Thanks!

1/10 scale tires come in a big size range ...I have found no 1 tire gets me off road and back on road.(tarmac .cement ,brick pavers)...I like my foams for road but like a good aggressive tread for offroad dirt ,sticks logs so on...

Imho it depends on a few things,

If you are a competitive racer you will have to have lots of tires for the purpose and different compounds etc to meet various tracks,

If you are just out playing, bashing then there are dual purpose tires just like on full sized cars and bikes and sure they are a trade off meaning they are not 100% perfect for either on or off road, but then again no car really will be either,

Sure people run an rc buggy on road and thats fine stick an a on road car off road and its not gonna go very well,

So if it were in my budget or desire i would get 2 sets but if i only wanted one set to start i would just balance it between on and off and have fun.

As a basher, I try to run tires that have a decent amount of contact area, but still grip in the grass. I like running pro-line trenchers on my 4x4 trucks. They last quite a while running at concrete skate parks, but get decent grip when I'm running at the grass bmx track or the limestone bmx track I can't run at anymore.

On my 2wd eJato, I recently switched the rear tires to a more aggressive tread as even the 2.8" trenchers didn't hook up well enough in the grass. So if I want to run it at the skate park, I need to take a spare set of tires as the duratrax faze likely won't last long on concrete. But man, they hook up in the lawn!
2020-0821-2.8ProlineTrenchers-vs-2.8DuratraxFaze.jpg

Like the others have mentioned, there is not tire that is good for all. Just like on full-size cars, there is no all-around tire for all surfaces. Even all-terrain tires are not good on all surfaces. They might be really good on medium traction dirt roads, but they don't do as well on street and low traction dirt. There are some all-terrain tires for RC cars, but they will have limited abilities on certain surfaces. On my stadium truck, I use the Duratrax 6-pack. They aren't the greatest on all surfaces, but they work pretty good as an all-terrain tires. The last a pretty long time also.

Back