Tired of high cost receivers....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frickenjoey

Official RCNT Cyber-Bully
Supporter
Active Military
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Ok, I have a Futaba 3PKS 2.4 transmitter and just darn tired of paying $90 per receiver. I have the FM module too but like the easy of the 2.4 set-up. I have a bunch of models and if I was to put a FASST receiver in every one it would cost me well over a grand in just Rx's.
I really wish Futaba would make a FHSS module for it so I can use the same receivers that come with the 4PL system. I know that Hitec is putting out a 2.4 module called the Atom that "might" work with the 3PKS but they have been waiting to hit the shelves for over a year now. I shot an email to them asking what is up with them and waiting to hear back. They also have a 6 channel module and I asked them if they thought it would work. Supposedly Spectrum is putting out a module that will fit the 3PK series. Does anyone know of a 2.4 module that works with the 3PKS radios?

Sweetdiesel is right 2.4 is NOT 2.4. I have a Futaba 2.4 FASST, a Traxxas 2.4, a HPI 2.4 and an Airtronics M8 with a Spectrum module and they will not work with each other. Futaba has a FHSS as well but even the other Futaba 2.4 which is FASST will not work together. There is a lot more to it than meets the eye. Even with FM TX and RXs there is a more than just plug and play. You have what is know as positive and negative shift transmission. Airtronics, JR, Kopro are all positive shift. Futaba and Hitec are a negative shift....so say you Have a JR FM controller and a Hitec receiver will not be able to reliably control the model even if they are on the exact same frequency. So back on topic....I wish it was as simple as 2.4 is 2.4 but sadly no.

even if they are the same brand it might not work ...the first traxxas 2.4(grey tx) is not compatible with the newer 2.4 ones ( black tx)....which sucks ...I'm still stuck with 2 transmitters

Last edited:
This is exactly why there needs to be a standard in the industry. It will never happen mind you, because the industry wants people to be locked into buying their products to forcibly create return customers. As mentioned above, one manufacturers 2.4 will not work with anyone else's 2.4 system. The only solution that I see has the downside of being stuck with a cheapo radio system, like the Hobby King 2.4 system. Yeah, you can get receivers for $8 each, but it's a basic radio with no extra adjustments or frills.

or if you are getting a new one, get this one, with lots of stuffs......

it has: FHSS
10 model memory
digital trim
end point adjustment
Dual Rate
3rd Channel
Plus many more features, but the good news is it's only $35.00! No joke, no special deal, no clearance, this is the full price!

http://www.nitrorcx.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html

!B1Mv-qQCGk~$(KGrHqJ,!g4Ew5GZJQsfBMdfMnDM(!~~_3.jpg

and it works with the peviously mentioned Reciever

That is closer to what I would want to pay. I finally got back a reply from Hitec and the Atom module should be out in a month or so. SO I will hit e-bay and see what I can find. I also have a problem with trusting an $8 receiver to a $1k model. Now the bargain receivers I would feel ok with my smaller rigs like my RC18 or Mini-T. But not a Savage or anything expensive.

Not directly no, but they are putting out a module that is supposed to be compatible with the 3PKS that I have that will work with the Atom receivers...so I am going to give it a try. The receivers for that is $52 and I trust Hitec to put out a good product.

or if you are getting a new one, get this one, with lots of stuffs......

it has: FHSS
10 model memory
digital trim
end point adjustment
Dual Rate
3rd Channel
Plus many more features, but the good news is it's only $35.00! No joke, no special deal, no clearance, this is the full price!

http://www.nitrorcx.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html

!B1Mv-qQCGk~$(KGrHqJ,!g4Ew5GZJQsfBMdfMnDM(!~~_3.jpg

and it works with the peviously mentioned Reciever

WHOA. Would that work with an ax10 crawler? ME LIKEY. :)

It says car/boat, but mentions a helicopter too. I could really use something like this. my stocker, well, sucks. :D

Last edited:
I am sure it would work. I would not mind using it on something slow that if it got away it is not going to do too much damage to its self. But something I can't out run and catch....yeah...not going to do it.

Personally, I wouldn't go cheap on the piece of the rig that lets you control it from afar.... Get a name brand that is PROVEN to work....otherwise be prepared for the consequences. ;-)

where....me need to get another module

Personally, I wouldn't go cheap on the piece of the rig that lets you control it from afar.... Get a name brand that is PROVEN to work....otherwise be prepared for the consequences. ;-)

I Use it and have NEVER hit a snag

I have to say, for $35... I'd gamble it if I didn't already have spektrum. Any idea of the model memory count? It just says model memory, but not how many.

I thought it said 10 Olds....I just am not sure if I would trust any of my higher dollar RCs to it though.

$35 for the xmitter/receiver. I'm not saying I'd plug it in and go chase cars down the freeway right away, but it may be worth gambling $35 to see the range/glitchiness of it for a basher. $7 for a receiver? I thought I got extremely lucky picking up used receivers for $50. And now that I have the telemetry radio... I have to buy all new receivers again if I want to get use out of it!

Athough, the telemetry is a bit of a gimmick IMHO. I have a hard enough time driving without hitting stuff if I'm not staring down at my radio to see what the speed or engine temp is because it's cool. It is cool though!

Yea it's 10 models. they are currently out of stock there, although i'm sure one could find it somewhere else. that thing still has me wondering if i should try it lol. i've never heard anyone have a single complaint yet about them.