Tips for Graphics and masking

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
A while ago I started using Glad Press & Seal for masking off large areas. It was much easier to use than newspaper and tape.
I think it was Candyman who asked if it stuck good enough to cut graphics on, and the answer is no, it barely has as much tack as a post it note but enough to stay put for over spray.
I once worked for a firm that built architectural scale models, and that also included some complex area maps on Plexiglas.
I was in an art supply store yesterday picking up some painting supplies when I accidentally came across rolls of Frisket film. THAT'S what we used for drawing and cutting our graphics before spraying each color, and the process totally got lost when it came to painting RC lids. I'm currently masking a lid, and I wish I had remembered this 6 years ago when I painted my first Lexan body.

Frisket film or Frisket paper, .002 with a matte finish.
Excellent tack yet easy removal and it leaves no residue.
No peel or bleed.

If you just want to do a simple 2 tone, mask windows or do complex graphics like Lessen, NCNitro or Candyman, then this is what you need to simplify your work and bring it to the next level.

Good luck, you're really gonna' enjoy this technique.

:rolex:

Great info. Ima have to pick some up and give it a try.

I just can't believe I didn't remember this. You can still draw your graphics on the outside film and clearly see it to cut on the inside.

Dude! How freakin' oronic! I was just at Michaels yesterday to pick up a couple new Sharpies and as I was browsing I say that exact same stuff. My first thought was.. man, that would be great for body works. Not cheap.. I think the package was $15 but I dont' recall how many sheets were in it.

There's a MAJOR art supply about 1/2 mile from here, Jerry's Artorama. I think it's bigger than Michael's. I never even thought to look there.
I found it at A.C. Moore, but I'd guess Hobby Lobby might also carry it.
Mine came on a roll, 12" by 4 yards.
I can't remember what I paid, but it was definitely NOT expensive.

www.grafixarts.com

Made in America !
Maple Heights, Ohio, to be exact.

Ha! I'm ahead of the curve on something. I used that stuff a couple of years ago,the last time I tried to paint a decent body with some detail. :D

Been there. Used it. I like it for the most part. It's a bit picky because it's thin and if you're doing complex graphics you just have to go slow when you're applying it. But it seems to do ok.

Indeed an excellent tip, Rolex!

On a somewhat related note, I may be in line to pick up a Craft Robo from my sister-in-law who's paring down her scrapbooking operation. Yup. That means custom masks and graphics baby! Time to reopen the paint shop!

I have seen the stuff used by my cousin painting motorcycles. He does some kick ass work. Good time Rolex as....um.... "Usual"? ;-)

I may be in line to pick up a Craft Robo from my sister-in-law who's paring down her scrapbooking operation. Yup. That means custom masks and graphics baby! Time to reopen the paint shop!

You luck sob! I want a vinyl cutter bad! I could take my painting to the next level with one.

I'll be selling custom vinyl decals on here pretty soon btw.

I'll have it going soon hopefully.

Back