thunder tiger ts4n problem? need guidance

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asg

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hey guys I'm going to try and tell u asmuch info as i can so you can maybe find the problem ... bare with me please thnxs
ok...
my thunder tiger ts4n plus is new jus got it couple of weeks ago I've broken it in I've driven it maybe 8 tanks worth .. (drove fine no cutting out)

fuel = model technics ( i know its crap but the hobby guy told me its the best and i didnt knw any thing)

after every run i put opti protect.( red colour)

when i was putting opti protect in one day i didnt realise the cap was unscrewed and put alot in i flooded the engine with the oil so tiped it upside down for a couple of hours...

then it wouldn't start so i put the high speed needle all in and took it out 3 full turns it started everything seemed k coulour of fuel etc. (It started ) and DID NOT STALL) and the fuel colour was fine!!

today i tried to tune it but it kept on randomly stalling while in motion with half throttle .. it also stalled wen i press full throttle from neutral ...

i tried leaning and richening then I NOTICED the fuel in the fuel tank was a MUDDY brown colour ?? its original coulour is bright orange ? it was spitting oil so i dnt think it was to lean ? also had ok amount of smoke frrom exhaust.
But it kept cuttting out while moving in half throttle (drove for a couple secs tho) but when i full throttled from neutral it would cut out straight away?

when i elevated the car on a brick it would not cut out as much ?? wen on the floor it would~?

what should i do ??
please help thankyou:)

check the clutch first, then check if the belts are causing binding in the drivetrain by being too tight. If that fails, try resetting ALL engine needles to factory and retune, also fit a BRAND NEW glow plug, that could also be the problem.

Nothing wrong with model technics fuel asg, i use nothing else !.

Drain your tank btw, never leave fuel in from one day to the next.

I have a TS4-N, so i know my way around em. Any other questions on this rig ?

hey thunder tiger eb4 thnx again for the help much appreciated...
thnxs i always drain my engine after use... do you have ant ideas as to to why the fuel might have turned that muddy dark colour has it hppnd to you b4??
i also want to install a two speed ..is it hard?
and hav u moded or upgraded your ts4n? in neway ? if so what can be done I've got the plus series ..what have u got?
later on wen i get a bit more experience i want to upgrade my ts4n nice engin and looks wise
any chances you can show me sum pics of yours?

Last edited:
ASG, mine is pretty standard, turnbuckles, alloy shocks & towers, 2 speed.

Personally, i would opt for an OS Engine as an engine upgrade and with futaba servo's & spektrum radio..

My TS4n is stripped out at the moment, no electronics, engine or exhaust, so pointless taking pics.

As to brown fuel.......only ever had that once and it was due to getting dirty oil blown into the tank from the exhaust. I was running rather rich though....

2 speed is easy enough to install providing you don't mind stripping the rear drive side out to do it. You'll also need to fit the 2 speed clutch bell. The clutch bell itself, you have options as to the gear rings you fit, different tooth counts i mean,.

Your best bet is to check the parts manual in the "upgrades" or "Hop Ups" section.

My personal choices would be the alloy bulkheads and things of that nature.

Last edited:
Geez, you guys had me going in circles until I hit up the Thunder Tiger web site and found the model. OK, we're talking road car here. Not familiar withit, but if I had to guess about the brown in the tank, yeah, you got some oil from the pipe blowing back into the tank or something.

I've got a EB4 S3 Pro kit but I have never seen brown coloring in the fuel. Which reminds me, I don't think I fully drained the tank...last time I drove it...3 years ago...crap.

hey rancher, research never hurts, but knowing the rig from experience is priceless !!

Good to see some initiative though, 10 / 10 for that !!!

yeh thnxs i checked my tank today it was realy dark an muddy so i jus ran it again and followed your steps it didnt cut out thanxs:)

also can i ask you 1 more question please
i noticed my front wheels are kinda loose in a sense that i can move the tyres side to side (toe adjustment way) are they meant to be a bit loose? there not incredibly loose but still enough for me to ask?

do yourself a favour, check the "king pin" screws / bolts, also,check the drag links at both ends to ensure all the fixing bolts are tight. I generally remove the short bolts and put longer ones thru with a nut. It stops them working loose.

There should be only very minimal (about half a mm) of play.

BTW, try using helicopter fuel. It has a little more oil, so you can run a tad leaner on the high speed needle.