thinking about getting a wooden boat

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megatmaxx

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i been thinking of getting a wooden boat something like the booth bay lobster boat. i was woundering how hard it would be to put a wooden boat together and what supplys i need such as tools and glue paint and stuff.

i know some people are really into details and i gotta say i am too, so all help and info is greatly apreciated.

Fast Eddy is building a wooden CrisCraft now. Looks like a LOT of work to get a wooden boat sea-worthy. I have yet to build one.

Eddy?????

well I'm willing to put the time into it. just really need to know what will be complicaited when I'm building it

Setting the keel and the ribs will be pretty much the hardest part. I would highly suggest using a kit for your first time venture!

I decided to get a kit to build. After doing a lot of research I decided to get a kit designed by Dumas. The kit was complete and the directions seem to be good. Not being a boat builder some of the building process are hit and miss.

I’m having a great time building my boat. It’s a lot different than building a kit car. I have 40-50 hours into her now and expect it to take 300-400 hours. Tools needed are basic. A good set oh hobby knifes, Hobby size miter box and saw, sanding blocks, cloths pins, and T pins seem to be the basic tools needed. I didn’t have any of the stuff and the cost was about $75.00 to purchase Quality tools. You could do it for about half the price if you wanted. For glues I am using CA (Super Glue) 1 large bottle of thin and one of thick, 5 min. Epoxy. $15.00.

You will need a large works space, about 3 times the size of your boat.

If you feel the need to build one I say go for it, just be prepared for a long-term project. If you have any more questions I will be glad to share my limited knowledge with you.

Back