Thinking about getting a larger heli.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchrodeMode

Hardcore RCTalk User
Active Military
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Alright guys, I've come to the conclusion that the micros just can't handle the wind over here. I'm looking for a heli that can handle it better, I have been looking at the Blade 450 for a while now. Should I get the RTF or spend the extra money for the 450 X? This will be my second CP, the first was the Nano CPX and it was a handful. I am good with it outside, but it was too quick for me indoors.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I've flown both my MCP X and MQX in 15-20mph winds without issue. They'll get blown around a bit, but they will handle it. I personally would go 500 size over 450, cost of ownership / crashing isn't much more after the initial buy in, and they fly much bigger (more stable, more visible, etc) than a 450 does. That being said, a 450 for a beater heli is tough to beat. I would also look at other brands for a 450 and up, mainly due to parts cost alone. And I'd recommend building from a kit, so you know the heli inside and out, which is important when it finally gets crashed. Just my $.02

I really wish I'd taken up the heli side while I was back in LA, I had a crazy amount of knowledge that I could tap into. They had a group of about 15 heli guys, and the 5 that I knew the best were also the most experienced. Hopefully I can find a group over here that can give me a few pointers, I know it'll all come in time though. Looking back I was pretty intimidated when it came time for my first tear down of my Rustler, then came the LST which was even bigger with more screws and moving parts, but I can tear them both down and put them back together with only a couple "leftover" screws and I don't need nearly as much duct-tape as I did before. I'm pretty good at wingin' it, plus there's always the time when you have no other option but to learn, normally right after a few select words and a walk of shame.

blade 450x can be had for about $325 at amain right now. They are having a crazy sale on all blade helis. You must be logged into your account to see the prices and then there is a $25 coupon you can find if you google for amain coupons.

Back