The slow death of my Traxxas battery

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peeeenuuutt

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
I couldn’t wait to use these new tires so I disconnected my mxl’s BEC and threw on my MMM piggyback style to man those duties, this battery (along with its partner) has nearly 175 runs in my e revo and has been slightly puffed since run ~150. After the run I checked the battery voltages. It’s friend was at 11.2, this one was at 10.5 :(. Hang in there buddyo!! I’m gonna hook up castle link and set voltage cutoff to 3.8v/cell to make this battery last as long as possible. Other one is doing just fine though, no puffage at all. Here’s the dying one. I’d buy again if I can get a fair price because these batteries have been over 150f many times (100+f day in an e revo with me driving does these batteries hard, it’s not their fault)

The front cell isn’t bad... only puffed about a mm... not visible on camera

I couldn’t wait to use these new tires so I disconnected my mxl’s BEC and threw on my MMM piggyback style to man those duties, this battery (along with its partner) has nearly 175 runs in my e revo and has been slightly puffed since run ~150. After the run I checked the battery voltages. It’s friend was at 11.2, this one was at 10.5 :(. Hang in there buddyo!! I’m gonna hook up castle link and set voltage cutoff to 3.8v/cell to make this battery last as long as possible. Other one is doing just fine though, no puffage at all. Here’s the dying one. I’d buy again if I can get a fair price because these batteries have been over 150f many times (100+f day in an e revo with me driving does these batteries hard, it’s not their fault)

The front cell isn’t bad... only puffed about a mm... not visible on camera
View attachment 30065
I have a pair of those. One lasted 1 run running my outcast at 75% (I limited via my remote). It puffed to double its size. It was brand new... I had bought them when I got my ERBE, but by the time I got the truck, I found that running 4S would be a smarter route to take, so I never used these, until I got my outcast.

I still have the other one. I cut the ends and installed a proper 3S balance plug as I got rid of my ID charger long ago. The only thing it fits in is my ejato, which I've since taken apart/built SMC 7200mah 3S packs for that also fit in my stampede. These long packs don't fit in my stampede or I'd run it in that until it died.

If anything, my traxxas batteries are prob the only thing I've had luck with so far from them. of course it could also be because my cars constantly break before I even get to the LVC on the batteries :LOL:

My ERBEv1 does fine on 4S, unless I get stupid with it. RPM arms/carriers, tbone wheelie bar, motor brace, rear chassis brace, rear shock limiter straps... still, ran it a week or so ago for 2 sets of packs in the snow and it did fine until half way through the second pack when one of my axle screw/pins backed out, then it broke the knuckle. I usually tighten those before I run... forgot.

I have a pair of those. One lasted 1 run running my outcast at 75% (I limited via my remote). It puffed to double its size. It was brand new... I had bought them when I got my ERBE, but by the time I got the truck, I found that running 4S would be a smarter route to take, so I never used these, until I got my outcast.

I still have the other one. I cut the ends and installed a proper 3S balance plug as I got rid of my ID charger long ago. The only thing it fits in is my ejato, which I've since taken apart/built SMC 7200mah 3S packs for that also fit in my stampede. These long packs don't fit in my stampede or I'd run it in that until it died.
Shoulda sent it back because they woulda gave you an immediate replacement.

Edit never mind you said they were sitting. Yeah they probably won’t take it back if it’s super old.

Realize the old red 3s packs are a lot worse than the black 3s pack I showed in the picture. These ones sucked:

So, these sucked:
2017-0112-Traxxas2872X_3S_5000MahLipos.jpg

Doesn't really matter. Traxxas asks for too much for their packs and I'll likely never bother buying one of theirs again regardless if they are better now or not. I'll stick with SMC, PowerHobby or gensacearespammers.

Don't run those in any of the 6s Arrmas! The C rating is way to low and is the reason for the puff factor. My buddy burned his Typhon to the ground because of this same reason. It was a sad day for him, and he's still really sensitive when I give him crap about it. Someday if I can get him to share the picture with me I will post it...

So, these sucked:

Doesn't really matter. Traxxas asks for too much for their packs and I'll likely never bother buying one of theirs again regardless if they are better now or not. I'll stick with SMC, PowerHobby or gensacearespammers.
Yup, those sucked. I went through many of them. I mean they were decent packs but as I said my e revo pulls AMPPPSSS and they did good until I overheat them in hot summers. Anyway I actually disagree with the C rating argument with Traxxas packs. They’re definitely better than most of the other packs I see thrown into arrma’s from my experience of various batteries (HRB, Floureon, Powerhobby) they tested out to be about 41c (40c on one and 42c on the other) on my friends super fancy charger. And this wasn’t too long ago, right before I moved from Detroit, so they were worn out. His SMC’s tested in the same ballpark. Every time I’ve seen Traxxas batteries targeted on this forum it’s been along these lines.

“Yeah those blew up my esc!!”
“Oh dang how long did they last?”
“Oh it was on my first run”
“Soo it was probably an esc defect no?”
“(no comment)”
I don’t mean to defend Traxxas, good quality or not, they’re overpriced and I don’t recommend you buy them, but all the cases of “Traxxas batteries blowing up arrma esc’s” are usually a hoax. Besides, people put even the old red ones into the mamba monster extremes of the xo-1 and take em above 80mph. If the arrma esc is actually blowing from those batteries it’s the esc’s fault. (Point is, the esc’s don’t blow up because “Traxxas batteries” so their esc’s aren’t broken) it’s normally a different cause.

I picked those 2 batteries up for $80 brand new shipped for both and that’s the best batteries dollar for dollar I’ve ever had. After a quick google search, they’re way more than that.

I wish my MXL (mm2) had data logging so I could see how many amps the thing pulls, but whatever it is it’s a ton. I don’t wanna put in an mmx and use it’s data logging because I don’t believe it’d hold up to the job. Whenever I use buddies packs they always get super hot in the truck because I drive it like I stole it (and being an 8th scale MT with an esc that doesn’t give 2 craps about restricting power to save your batteries like every other esc) it makes them work HARD.

Last edited:
So, these sucked:

I have two of these packs that I run only in a Traxxas M41 boat. Have over 100 cycles on them and they are still going strong. And FE boats kill batteries.
I find it funny that in the Castle literature for their esc's, it says use 50c min packs or high quality 25c packs like Traxxas ones.

I have two of these packs that I run only in a Traxxas M41 boat. Have over 100 cycles on them and they are still going strong. And FE boats kill batteries.
I find it funny that in the Castle literature for their esc's, it says use 50c min packs or high quality 25c packs like Traxxas ones.
Pretty sure it’s 30c “or high quality 25c packs like Traxxas ones”
But on another note, damn. 100 cycles in a boat is impressive for any lipo.

Pretty sure it’s 30c “or high quality 25c packs like Traxxas ones”
But on another note, damn. 100 cycles in a boat is impressive for any lipo.
Yeah I think u are right about the 30c. I got my moneys worth with them batteries. And my boy pretty much runs that boat full throttle for the whole 10-15 mins. I have puffed a few cheap lipos doing the same.

Well, for me, they literally lasted 1 run in my outcast. One is still alive, but the other is junk. Puffed to twice it's size. Prior to that, I ran both packs once in my ejato with the vxl-3s/3500kv motor in it.

I usually run SMC 7400mah 2S packs in my outcast. I run the same 7200/7400 2s packs in my ERBEv1 and savage flux. I never tried the traxxas packs in either of those trucks, so I can't say what they would have done.

Back