The Great Outdoors

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I went up to the LBS and helped build up my new bike the Friday before Haloween.

2016 Trek Fuel EX 9 29er
130mm front travel, 120mm rear travel and the new EVOL re:aktiv shock is incredible!
size XL weighed 29.1 lbs with VP Vice DH pedals

Things I changed or added;

Things I added / changed;
Race Face Respond 60mm stem
Race Face Atlas 785x15mm riser bars (since cut down to 760mm)
SRAM 28T chain ring
XR4 expert 29x2.30 TLR front tire
setup the wheels / tires tubless
swapped the brakes to moto brakes
re-routed the rear derailleur cable

y1dUzP8.jpg

I'm super happy with it, and I've spent a good bit of time on it in the past week with my time off. Even though it's been wet as hell here, I rode a lot of forest service roads, and one actual single track ride, and put in right at 40 miles, and over a mile of vertical climbing in that week. I've had a lot going on at work, and with family stuff, so it was really good to just lose myself in the woods on my new bike, it never fails to clear my head and make me see things in a different light, and I always come back from a ride renewed and feeling much, much better.

Had my usual night ride

fs44puI.png

Then...

CfTfaJM.jpg

W44pn2m.jpg

WzJCRvC.jpg

vQnWNLZ.jpg

Climbing to the point you're looking out at the mountains rather than up at them is always cool also

hgB3SPh.jpg

End of the road, literally

FdPOogA.jpg

Strava deets

z7lG1Rd.jpg

Next ride

I was out for about three hours, and barely saw anyone at all, sometimes that's nice actually.

That says bear sanctuary on it :D

DpBVzd1.jpg

Luckily, not for human powered vehicles it's not

VrwtDJq.jpg

It was damp and chilly today, so I brought along some human anti-freeze :D

Mbr0U9K.jpg

The USFS has a lot of these stations in this area, not sure what they're for.

Wkb0458.jpg

Looking out at the mountains once again, and not up at them

Xw35oiJ.jpg

End of the road again as well, had some fun with some HDR shots

WoAGq2O.jpg

cgLwtxY.jpg

Strava deets

nR0lMg2.jpg

And finally, I've been wanting to tackle WCU on the single speed, and knew it would still be wet in places from the rain a few days ago, so no better time to bust out the SS fattie. The WCU trails are steep, and have some long climbs, and I wanted to see how I would do out there on a SS. It was tough, really tough in places, but really satisfying when I was done though. Oddly enough, I set a few new PR's, guess I'm faster on the cheap ass SS fattie than on my shiny new squishy wonder bike. :D

PY30HkH.jpg

wQbTWKT.jpg

Last edited:
@HPIguy
That bike looks absolutely intense, how much did it cost in total?

I can't give exact numbers out of respect for my local bike shop owners that help me out big time, but retail is $3,999 for the bike, figure another $250 or so in parts I changed.

I think it's amazing that EVERYWHERE you go, there are bikes abandoned in the woods. I need to start hiking again.

Could be the bears ate 'em. :D

I can't give exact numbers out of respect for my local bike shop owners that help me out big time, but retail is $3,999 for the bike, figure another $250 or so in parts I changed.

Could be the bears ate 'em. :D

^^LOL

I finally got a weekend with decent weather, and fairly dry trails. So I loaded up and headed to Tsali. Mouse and Thompson have always been my favorite loops, but it's really funny how a new bike can change your old trails. I had a freaking blast today, probably the most fun I've ever had there. And the new bike continues to impress, it's just so much faster everywhere.

Creek crossing on Thompson

iwDbcrn.jpg

Can't go to Tsali without doing the overlooks, Mouse overlook downhill is fun too.

wAJavWx.jpg

rEILvpd.jpg

I kinda liked this shot

RETExgC.jpg

Strava deets

4QZMEcj.jpg

Those views are fantastic. What was the temp that day?

Might have gotten into the low 50's.

Finally got to hit Pisgah today on the new bike. Rode with some friends, it was incredible! I can't wait to go back next weekend.

Upper end of 276 headed that way, all the trees were frozen over.

6BHsopx.jpg

Some falls

OwOxF7a.jpg

Some more falls

q0oafoH.jpg

Break time

ALdMawC.jpg

About to drop into Daniel Ridge

504UAK1.jpg

Got another Pisgah trip in Friday with a friend. We did a big loop, with lots of steep climbing, and long downhill runs. Lots of hunters out (biggest deer day of the year here in NC), and we heard a lot of shots, makes for an exciting day in the woods. We also spoke to, and are always courteous to hunters, fly fisherman, and hikers as we all enjoy the outdoors in our own ways. We rode the new Spencer Gap from the top, to middle fork, to Fletcher creek and climbed to the top and back down (fun as hell BTW), to the parking lot then ran Trace Ridge and Wash Creek, then climbed back out to the truck. I was beat at the end of it, but man what fun. :D

Made a couple small changes on the bike recently, moved my stem down one spacer on the steerer, and got my suspension settings pretty well figured out, and I feel like it's really dialed now. Other than some new wheels after the first of the year (I'm about 230lbs geared up, and the stock 24 spoke setup was protesting loudly at times LOL), I'm not touching anything. It climbs very well, and yet it rips going down, I love this bike!!

STNbdoq.jpg

jEyKV6q.jpg

I'd like to recommend a hat for you to wear on your next outing. I'd also recommend a white handkerchief hanging out of a rear pocket, flapping in the breeze, for additional safety.

il_fullxfull.755738700_mavy.jpg

Just remember that you don't have to be the fastest in the group. Just faster than @Rolex.

Speaking of the great outdoors, just watched the History TV series "Alone" over the last few days - it was pretty interesting.

^^LOL, and yes the Alone show was pretty interesting indeed. I really enjoyed it.

Rode squirrel gap in Pisgah today for the first time with a friend. Brutally steep in sections going up, fun coming back down though. :D In case it isn't obvious, I've grown very fond of Pisgah National Forest. It's such a unique place, as it encompasses so much land, that you can get a completely different kind of ride (type of trail, scenery wise, etc) every time you go out there. When that was done, we headed over to Brevard for some pump track action on the dirt jumpers. I'm beat!

e5mx0PW.jpg

Back