The difference between crawler motors and non-crawler motors.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
@Goose246 asked this question in a different thread awhile back and I could only vaguely answer the question. I tried some google-fu to get more info but really couldnt find much in the way of an informative answer. To that end I reached out to Holmes Hobbies and asked them that question. Here is their reply for anyone interested.

"Good question! Most of the motors you've likely experienced are 3 slot armatures. This of course, means the commutator has three segments. The current being applied makes the motor spin to the next segment. In the case of 3 slots, it jumps 120°, or 1/3 of a full revolution. It takes a decent amount of current and motion to turn that far. Now imagine how that's improved by having a 5 slot motor! Now it takes less current to jump to the next segment and/because the motor doesn't need to spin so far to do it. 72° or 1/5 of a revolution means startup speeds are lower and low speed modulation is much easier.
A good rule of thumb for extrapolating how much load/how fast a 5 slot motor( all Crawlmaster brushed motors are 5 slot) will be (in comparison to a like-sized and constructed 3 slot) is to double the turn count. So, the Crawlmaster Sport 12T is going to behave like a 24T 550 at WOT. Or, a little slower top speed and a little less load than the 12T Titan.
If we're looking at trucks like the Slash and want a more apples to apples comparison, our Trailmaster Sport 550 12T is comparable but likely a slightly slower top speed/lower Kv due to stronger magnetics."

Oh man, I must have missed that thread. I learned about the 5 slot motors a while back when I was still thinking about sticking with the HW 1080 and a brushed motor.

My buddy has one in his Gen 8 and with the 1080 it is pretty darn smooth. My Fusion 2300 is smoother and will crawl slower but it's pretty impressive. Fair bit more efficient on batteries from what he has experienced as well.

Mr. Holmes' youtube channel is a good place to learn about electronics and have some fun while at it.

Interesting, so sort of like the brushless crawler motors, they have more "poles" to deliver smoother steps throughout a rotation, and lower RPM'S per volt as a result.

Interesting, so sort of like the brushless crawler motors, they have more "poles" to deliver smoother steps throughout a rotation, and lower RPM'S per volt as a result.
That's what it sounds like. I saw something about this a long time ago and totally forgot about it til Grey made this thread. Heck, it may have been a Holmes YT vid. I subscribed to them a few years ago, back when I was playing with WPL stuff.

Mr. Holmes' youtube channel is a good place to learn about electronics and have some fun while at it.
I've been watching his YT channel recently. Tons of great info on there. Especially if your an electronics geek like me. I nerd out on that stuff.

@Goose246 asked this question in a different thread awhile back and I could only vaguely answer the question. I tried some google-fu to get more info but really couldnt find much in the way of an informative answer. To that end I reached out to Holmes Hobbies and asked them that question. Here is their reply for anyone interested.

"Good question! Most of the motors you've likely experienced are 3 slot armatures. This of course, means the commutator has three segments. The current being applied makes the motor spin to the next segment. In the case of 3 slots, it jumps 120°, or 1/3 of a full revolution. It takes a decent amount of current and motion to turn that far. Now imagine how that's improved by having a 5 slot motor! Now it takes less current to jump to the next segment and/because the motor doesn't need to spin so far to do it. 72° or 1/5 of a revolution means startup speeds are lower and low speed modulation is much easier.
A good rule of thumb for extrapolating how much load/how fast a 5 slot motor( all Crawlmaster brushed motors are 5 slot) will be (in comparison to a like-sized and constructed 3 slot) is to double the turn count. So, the Crawlmaster Sport 12T is going to behave like a 24T 550 at WOT. Or, a little slower top speed and a little less load than the 12T Titan.
If we're looking at trucks like the Slash and want a more apples to apples comparison, our Trailmaster Sport 550 12T is comparable but likely a slightly slower top speed/lower Kv due to stronger magnetics."
Holmes is good stuff and they actually respond to questions on email too. I really like the fact that he puts his stuff out there and isn't secretive about it.

Oh man, I must have missed that thread. I learned about the 5 slot motors a while back when I was still thinking about sticking with the HW 1080 and a brushed motor.

My buddy has one in his Gen 8 and with the 1080 it is pretty darn smooth. My Fusion 2300 is smoother and will crawl slower but it's pretty impressive. Fair bit more efficient on batteries from what he has experienced as well.
I'm running a HH Trailmaster pro in the TRX-4 with a HW 1080 ESC and it's good. I was fortunate enough to drive a rig with a CrawlMaster Magnum and the 1080 and it was buttery smooth.

The hot ticket these days is exactly what you have, the HW Fusion. I've thought about it more than a few times but the CM Magnum was really something else.

Back