TRX 4 + HH Trailmaster Sport 550 27T low speed problem.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Partydaz

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello folks :)

I have installed a new HH Trailmaster Sport 550 27T motor in my TRX 4 : 2 speed , HW 1080 ESC, 45T spur / 9T pinon.

Any one here have this combo and can tell me if this is normal.

On a low speed decent even going over a few small bumps the motor / truck seems to stall for a sec then kicks back in, no problems slow hill climbing it's super smooth. Now I might of answered my own question is it because the motor is not made for that kind of action as the other motor in the range a Crawlmaster sport info states that it has a smoother start up.

Thanks for any info. New to the hobby and loving it :)

Hmm, my 1080 doesn't have that problem with any brushed motor, be it HH crawlmaster or trailmaster sport or 10$ Injora ones... Is that with throttle applied or just coasting downhill on drag brake? Or inbetween?

Make sure your 1080 is in crawl (th/brake) mode, of course. Then you can play around with drag brake and drag brake rate amounts. I like them maxed out for proper crawling. Try freewheling on or off.

Have you set up the esc with a program card? Sounds like the punch setting is off.
The punch setting determines how fast the car reaches full throttle.

I have three or four of them. I always buy my ESCs that come with one.

OIP.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers for the replies,

I have messed with the program card today and the punch is set to max and and drag brake is set middle ground for both drag brake and drag brake rate.

It's seems to do it while throttle is applied but goes away when I give it more juice. Shows up more when in first gear and judders along over the little bumps.

Only started to happen when I installed this new motor so I am thinking the motor is faulty ?

Going put the stock motor & ESC back in later see how that goes, try narrow down what's at fault.
And free wheeling is disabled it seems smoother with it disabled.

Little clip of the rig doing it, I have gone as slow as it can go with out stalling. as you can see it climbs over the bumps fine but then stops for a sec.

Hope it helps.

I'll try and recreate it with mine.

As the motor unloads going "downhill", the ESC cuts power and probably engages drag brake and then it has to start up again. With the drivetrain lash, it takes a few turns for the motion of the motor to get to the wheels. How much can you turn the wheels without moving the motor? Should be maybe 1/4 turn max.

Not much less than 1/4 of turn, front moves little bit more than back but I think that's how it is. I've redone the front drive shafts & diff so I know it's not that that's all new. Checked rear diff that's ok & gear box plus regressed all the drive line bits n bobs while I was at it to be on the safe side.

If you have any slop in the diffs, even a little bit, that will translate to a lot of slop at the wheels. 1/4 turn of your wheels before the lash is taken up is a LOT. If you have that much, that is your problem. Maybe look into shimming the diffs.

Shimming I'll look into next strip down might help tighten up other parts, didn't even know what that was till I googled it, thanks.

Well I have put it back to stock electronics the problem happens but only slightly because I am looking for it now 😅

Stock ESC & MOTOR : slight stopping

Stock ESC & HH Trailmaster : little bit more pronounced stopping.

1080 ESC & HH Trailmaster : stopping shows up.

Seems upgrading the electronics shows a flaw in the truck or its shows how good the drag brake is on this set up. Maybe I am looking into a fault that doesn't exist 🤣 .

The trail master is a 3 pole motor, the pause will be greater than say a 5 pole Crailmaster. It is magnified by the slop in the drive train. I’m certainly not an expert but I have both crawlmaster and trailmaster motors and the crawlmaster is much smoother and 5 pole, the stock titan is probable 4. Trailmaster motors are used for driving miles and miles on trails at higher speeds and not quite as smooth on start up.
Also try turning your punch down, you may have more controlled start up.

Last edited:
Thank you for the explanation that helps to clear that up before I start stripping it down again :D . Now I just need to snag myself a Crawlmaster.

Thank you for the explanation that helps to clear that up before I start stripping it down again :D . Now I just need to snag myself a Crawlmaster.
if you get a crawlmaster sport you need to go down on the number of turns to get the same KV out of the motor. (crawlmaster sport 550 10t is 1850kv while the trailmaster 550 21t is very smilar at 1800kv. This chart as well as their recommendations toward the bottom of the page may help you decide.
https://holmeshobbies.com/motor-recommendations
Many like the CMS 550 12t in their trx4 (2 speed) while i likw the 10t in the single speed trx4 sport.

Well I messed round with punch setting little bit of improvement so thanks for that tip. Learning so much about these now, Thanks for all the advice folks 🙂

Back